Eton Empire with AMT and "ceramic" housing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the original plan, the satelites have an internal volume of only 30 liter for both 17cm speakers. In my housing they have two times 20 at their disposal. They are sealed cabinets, by the way...
So not much bass, but splendid "impulse-behaviour?"..

This is the look of the original housing:

Attachments

• empire.jpg
    empire.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 620
Here are the components used per speaker:

Loudspeakers (Chassis):

2 piece of 7-360/37 Hex/Eton

1 piece of ER 4/Eton

Filter (L/mH; C/µF; R/1ž2):

1,0 mH Tritec L37 x 0,80; 0,14Ω L1

0,39 mH LU 32/36; 0,71 Ω L2

0,47 mH LU 44/30; 0,436 Ω L3

3,9 µF MKP Audyn Cap/250 Vac C1

10,0 µF MKP/800 VDC C2

1,5 Ω MOX 10 W R1

Instead of the tritec, I used Mundorf OFC Copper Foil CFC 10
1.0 mH 0.14 Ohm

http://www.mundorf.com/english/bauteile/frspule.htm

Instead of the Audyn Cap, I first used Mundorf Extreme cap, then I switched to Jensen paper in oil caps.

Here is the layout of the filter:

Attachments

• empire_weiche.gif
    empire_weiche.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 612
LaMa said:
Ouch.... this isn't a cheap project ;) Hopefully it sounds as good as the sum of the raw drivers. What do you have in mind for the <100Hz region?

It wasn't cheap indeed, but the Eton 17 cm drivers are really very good. Very stiff and therefor cleansounding without a lot of breaking in the higher frequencies and that is why they sound so clean and neutral without becoming harsh.
The little air-motion-transformer is much better than any dome-tweeter I have ever heard: Very fast and open without screaming. The large AMT and some very large Ribbons are a little bit better but they cost a few times more.
All in all I am very pleased with them. There are no commercially available speakers that I know of that I would prefer.

I didn't built them myself to safe money, but to find something up to my taste. I am a recording engineer in classical music and I wanted to have something good in my home as well, that enables me to hear detail and space in recordings, be they made by me or others. Most speakers have difficulty in this because they colour too much.

For the bass, I am still considering various designs.
Any suggestion is welcom, of course!

Greetings,

Lucas.

garnex said:
hi!

did you hear any difference between the mundorf surpreme and the jenden paper/oil capacitor? Could you post your impressions?
greetz,
garnex

Hi Garnex,

I do have some impressions on that, but I want to do another comparison on that now that both caps have breaked in.

I will let you know after my second comparison, al right?

Regards,

Lucas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.