XO parts for proac 2.5 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've decided to build the proac 2.5 clone as my first project. I've ordered the drivers from audiocomponents.nl as they were considerably cheaper than either madisound or partsexpress. I'm having problems getting the XO parts as specified in

http://www.geocities.com/diyproac25/images/Jacq_Troels.gif

For the inductor values specified, I can find only air core inductors and not the iron core as mentioned in the xo diagram. And I cannot find the 3.4 and 8.5 microFarad capacitors.

Can someone who have already built it please let me know of the place where they bought it ? And if they found it on madisound/partsexpress website, can you please reply with the part number?

TIA for helping a rookie,
Rajiv

You have to improvise and use your imagination. Try adding 6.8uf + 1.5uf to get close to 8.5uf. 3.3uf is close enough to 3.4uf. With the inductors use air core and improvise if you need to. Ask at the shops you mentioned for ideas. Don't give up so easily, keep going and have fun along the way.

Cacophonix said:
I've decided to build the proac 2.5 clone as my first project. I've ordered the drivers from audiocomponents.nl as they were considerably cheaper than either madisound or partsexpress. I'm having problems getting the XO parts as specified in

http://www.geocities.com/diyproac25/images/Jacq_Troels.gif

For the inductor values specified, I can find only air core inductors and not the iron core as mentioned in the xo diagram. And I cannot find the 3.4 and 8.5 microFarad capacitors.

Can someone who have already built it please let me know of the place where they bought it ? And if they found it on madisound/partsexpress website, can you please reply with the part number?

TIA for helping a rookie,
Rajiv

There is nothing wrong with parallelling caps to get the right values. Use a reasonable cap for the large part and a better quality for the smaller. So 8.5 uF is 8.2 uF ordinary and 0.33 uF good cap. 3.4 uF is 3.3 uF ordinary and 0.10 uF very good cap. 7 uF would be 6.8 uF ordinary and 0.22 uF or two 0.10 uF good caps. The inductors can be anything you feel comfortable paying for and air core is fine. The important thing is low DCR which should be 0.2 Ohm max for all of them. The 0.25 mH coil is for a lot of people a 0.27 mH standard part where you unwind some turns that seems reasonable.

Don't get into panic for not finding exact values. The original XO called for 0.83 mH whereas the standard part is 0.82 mH. Considering tolerance is 3-5 % the a 0.82 coil is no catastrophy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.