prefered crossover freq for scan speak 9500's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This seems to be quite a popular tweeter, i aminterested in your prefered crossover frequency for use in a small two way speaker 14L Cabinet.

The woofer is a seas 17rcy-p, i am not convinced by the sound (seems thin but vocals are great )

so, i thought that the cross over frequency may be incorrect, and maybe the tweeter needs to be attenuated, the bass may be there but to quite compared to the higher frequencies.

I do not know what the cross over is at the moment is is borrowed from a pair of Gale :dodgy: two ways, hence my thoughts about doing the crossover properly. or am i trying to make a silk purse from etc etc etc...

or are the seas not suitable for this aplication 9 they were recomended to me as replacemnt for the ex002!! )

Mark

Thanks, for your advice, will some thing like winisd be ok for working out the component values?

also i guess that you do not want the crossover freq to be the same for the low pass as the high?

Please excuse if these are simplistic questions, i am just starting!!

I think i will start with the crossover to go with the woofers i have and look at the others on model software, what sort of response / shape are you looking for on the graphs, smooth or going for lowest frequency at the -3db point :confused:

Mark

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WOW :eek: :eek: :eek:

i have just removed the naff crossover and put a simple 4uF cap on the tweeter...............i didn't realise the tweeter was that good...

right must order parts for the crossover........hmmmm and mayby new woofers and cabinets.....

ho hum i guess i have been lurred into this amazing world!!! ;)

hi sorry been away for a while. i changed jobs and my Inernet access was company owned ;)

right i seem to be going in the right direction (or am I ???) the thin sound seemed to be coming from "too much" tweeter,

I have put a resistor in series of 25 ohms to attenuate it. I am now concerned that my initial crossover is way out, is this too much resistance for the tweeter?

The cross over is a second order with 1 off 4.7uF caps and 1.02 mH inductors for the tweeters and the same again on the woofer. (clearly in different configurations ) these values were used from a calculation website i found.

Instead of using such a large resistance is there another way, i am sure this has removed some of the "sweetness" of the tweeter.

mark

try a Rp of 10 ohms and a Rs of 4 ohms for a start. reduce Rs and increase Rp accordingly.

remember that the effective impedance of teh tweeter and L pad must be used for teh XO freq.

ex: 8 ohm tweeter, 8 ohms Rp, 2 ohms Rs gives 6 ohms that the XO "sees".

Rp is reisitance in parallel with tweeter, Rs is resistance in series with combo or tweeter and Rp.

hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.