Help w/crossover wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need your help figuring out how to corectly wire the crossover that came with these speakers, I hope the attached drawing has enough information. I would also like some cabinet suggestions ,my guess is that they came from a PA system. I have built the Bushhorn MK II, Spawn Harveys and a decware Wicked One. But this is my first experiance with crossovers.
Thanks, Ben.

Attachments

• fostex2.jpg
    fostex2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 149
crosover

Thanks for your reply .now if i can figure your drawing out ,unfortunatly i can not read a schematic well enough to determine which leads are positive and which are negative, or what is in and out on the coils. I may need to go to a community college and take a course in electronics.i have attached a pdf of the PS-300 driver i have not been able to find anything on the tweeters.

Attachments

• ps300.pdf
    89.3 KB · Views: 35
fostex crossover

Allright i have spread out the crossover parts on my work bench the tweeters are still connected to crossover i have attached a drawing of both crossovers as they are wired differently. The one on the bottom of the page seems to make sense. it would appear to me that i should wire the lower 12" driver to the the bare ends and the upper driver to the solder joints goining into the coils does this sound right ?? still need cabinit ideas

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 115
Ignore my diagram above, it was only a guess;
If the 1.8mH coil is across the tweeter, your crossover may be a series xover. Looking at the freq response of the PS300, there may be a filter to tame the HF response, with the tweeter filling in the very top of the treble range.

In your pic, you don't show where the caps are connected to on the right hand side of the strip, that would help.

Reading these diagrams is quite simple, you just need to learn what the symbols stand for, look here:http://sound.westhost.com/beginners.htm

Perhaps you're best to start from scratch with an xover anyway,
ask on the fullrange threads whether anyone has used this driver

A quick sim in WINISD shows these drivers are probably best for Open baffle

crossover

OPEN BAFFLE Music to my ears before i bought these speakers i posted a question on the fullrange forum as the suitability of them for an Open Baffel speaker .I recived no respose. your thoughts
1- single 12" OB no crossover
2- 2-12" out of phase OB no crossover
3- 2-12" + tweeter OB L-pad for tweeter
Baffle size ??

As far as last diagram i posted the barrer strip with the caps shows no sign of any previous connections other than the one shown. the center lug has a screw lug ,i wonder if this was a mounting point that also went to ground .

Thanks again for your thoughts it is really amazing that we are on opposite sides of the globe and are able to share a common interest.
I have attached photo of latest diy speakers

Attachments

• img_0372.jpg
    img_0372.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 83
crossover

after a long nigght of experimenting i think that i am done .Thought that i had figured out crossover WRONG .Managed to burn out to of thePS300.So i built asimple 2 way OB 36'TX24' w.1- ps300 one FT THORN TWEETEr removed 2-COILS, wired tweeter with caps reversed polarity .Sounds ok tweaking to come . ede attache photo

Attachments

• ob.jpg
    ob.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 59
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.