ADC 404 Bookshelf Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

As the title suggests, I have acquired a pair of ADC 404 Speakers. They seem to be an acoustic suspension design from about 1968 to (date unknown).

Actually I had these for a while, without knowing much about them, then mistakenly (stupidly, even) used them to test a faulty amp, which fried one of the woofers. That was a schoolboy error I will never repeat!

Well, by great, great fortune, I just found a set of replacement drivers on ebay, under $30 including shipping, so the speakers are singing again. They're fed from a pair of David Bogen DB130 mono valve amps - rather contemporary, excepting the CD player source. I have to say that these sound rather nice, and make system well suited to our study room.

Does anyone else know about these, or other ADC products - I've seen ADC 303's (a bigger brother) on ebay, and they seem well regarded?

Cheers,

Ed

Does anyone else know about these, or other ADC products - I've seen ADC 303's (a bigger brother) on ebay, and they seem well regarded?

Cheers,

Ed

just saw this and hopefully better late than never.
I had a 404 and a pair of 303A (aka "the brentwoods").
bought them new circa 1970.
seemed to me as about the best at their respective price points in that era.
the 404 was incredible for its size in its time. none of my audio-geek friends at the time could believe the big sound that little box could project.
ADC also made a model 303AX with a slightly larger woofer for about $15 more each. the AX rolled off more gradually in the bass but the 303A struck me as much smoother and wider-range overall and i therefore considered it better overall than the AX.

Last edited:
My 404 pair has 1.5" clear plastic domes, maybe by Long? They are well and truly sealed: I used a router to open up the back. LF driver looks generic, much like what Ampex was using. Will recap and run them off against my Advent 3s and report. Too bad my A 10 Dynacos are long gone…

And my 404 Peugeot wagon, gone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.