Question about bass driver in combination with Philips 9710? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2008, 06:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to bezobraznia
Default Question about bass driver in combination with Philips 9710?

I just finished Andrea Ciuffoli's Power Follower and listen on my Philips 9710 fullranges in DIY horn + tweeters with only 0.5uF. So far so good... but I'm pretty sure that bass coming from speakers is not enough for me. I was thinking about several different combinations, but i stayed to two:
To make one subwoofer powered up with another amplifier ClassA+B i suppose, and the other option is adding bass drivers to existing horn... but I don't know really...
So what do You think? Whitch is the best combination for it?
Thank You in advance!
Old 9th December 2008, 07:57 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

a pair of separately powered woofers would the approach i would take.

dave
Old 10th December 2008, 08:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Right now I was trying only one subwoofer in combination with speakers. The result: awful. The beauty and transparency of class a dissapered almost totaly. The only thing left is flat sound stage with low freq pointing in the place where subwoofer is. I was trying different levels of low freq, different frequency cut. nothing's change in best. I don't know what will be with two of subwoofers... Class a topology and especialy this sheme give a good way for low freq. I'm using 2.2-2.4uF input caps and 22000uF output capacitors so 7hz-200khz (3db) is posible with this sheme on full load. I think that separate powered woofers will be a waste of power from Ciuffoli's amplifier...
So the question stay but in a little different aspect:
What sub driver will I use in combination with 9710's and where will be filter cut point?
Old 13th December 2008, 07:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

No one?!
I was decided go to another topology... to make disadvantage - advantage..
I think it was interesting if i go out Philips 9710 (92db/w/m after RLC filter) from horn where now it is and put there some bass driver (90-91db/w/m)... to see will it work OK... and Philips i hope that will be in short open baffle above this horn. Philips without filter and for bass driver I will try passive network first... i think 2nd order will make phases in the same "direction". If spl from bass driver stay too low, then maybe I try bi-amping. Class-A for Philips AD9710 and sub-amplifier with electronic xover for bass driver.
What do You think about this idea of mine? And would You have some suggestion about bass speaker driver. The spl of 90-91db/w/m for it is just a idea. It may vary.
Thank You in advance!

Hide this!Advertise here!