Suggestions for Building a 1x15 Cab

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been "lurking" on the forums for a while. I've learned a bit, but couldn't find an exact answer (if such a beast exists) for what I wanna do. I just purchased an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro. I have a good 4x10 cab. I wanna add a 1x15 to make a nice stack. The only requirement is that it has to be an 8 ohm cab.

I'm interested in anything from full schematics to suggestions for individual components. I'm not concerned with grills, coverings, handles, etc. Mainly want input on speakers, drivers, etc. You know, the real "meat" of the cab. :)

I'm a newbie to this stuff, but willing to learn. I don't need to turn out a stellar product (since it's my first try). However, I want it to work and be a good launching point for making a stage worthy cab.

Obviously, I'd like to keep the price tag as low as possible, but I'm more concerned about learning how it's done and what works rather than keeping strictly to a budget (although staying under $250 would be nice).

Hi,

I have a 4x10 + 1x15 bass set up and TBH it is not that easy.
The 4x10 was from a combo, the 1x15 a different manafacturer.

Initially the 1x15 overpowered the 4x10, but I came across
another musician who's 1x15 cabinet was not "ballsy" enough.
A driver swap was duly arranged and we both became happier.

He got a louder Marshall driver 1x15, I got what was probably a
cheaper driver, but it gelled far better with the 4x10, adding bass
to a midrange sound I liked, though TBH the 4x10 made a better
guitar cabinet than it did a single bass cabinet.

The moral of this story is you need to match cabinet output levels.
Unless you know the drivers in the 4x10 and they have accurate
specifications doing this on paper is far more difficult than by ear.

If you do know the 4x10 drivers, then there should be a matching
1x15 cabinet, using the driver from that would seem sensible.

Otherwise I'd recommend trying different used 1x15 cabinets.

:)/sreten.

I get what you're saying. My 4x10 cab is Trace Elliot built with Celestion speakers. I can get pretty specific specs since TE is good at providing that kinda info. It's a great cab. I'm wanting to try a 1x15 for several reasons. First, I love the low end a 1x15 can provide. Second, I think it'll be easier as a first cab attempt. (No need to figure out how to wire multiple drivers to get exactly 8 ohms. No crossovers for horns. All that jazz.) Third, it seems like a bit of fun. :)

So, assuming I can match the output levels, even if it means buying a 15" Celestion speaker. What are the essential items I'll need after that? I'm not concerned with building the "box" itself and I've decided to go with a sealed enclosure (for now). I'm more concerned with the guts. I wanna have all the parts ready to go rather than do it piece-by-piece over several weeks/months.

Thanks! I was hoping it was that "simple." Like I said in my last post, I'm trying to build this particular cab 'cause it seemed simple (i.e., less technical/frustrating). I had some of the parts worked out on paper, but didn't wanna come up short or error in some way that would severely PMO. lol.

Turns out, the driver I'm thinkin' about usin' is best suited to a vented cab. Might go that way since WinISD tells me what to do with regards to that. Maybe I'll try both just for the experience. lol.

Thanks again!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.