Outdoor speakers-question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning a pair of outdoor speakers and thinking of using stainless steel mesh ( like flyscreen door wire mesh but a bit heavier ) to protect the drivers. White cabinets with silver mesh would look good I reckon. Most commercial outdoor speakers use perforated sheet metal to protect the drivers but I did notice that some rock shaped speakers use a painted fly wire type mesh.
Does anyone know how the mesh may effect the quality of sound. The mesh is woven straight wire - could the strands vibrate against each other - is that why most outdoor speakers use perforated sheet metal.
Is there a hole size that is better suited to sound waves as the mesh is available in a lot of sizes.

Will probably use peerless poly drivers.

I am interested in other peoples thoughts/ trials as these are the first outdoor speakers that I am going to build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.