Ashley Crossovers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2008, 05:27 AM   #1
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Ashley Crossovers

Has anybody had any experience, good or bad with these electronic crossovers. Interested in the XR-1001 and XR-2001 models. Thanks for any input.
jamikl
Old 9th December 2008, 07:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ashley units are built like tanks and are designed primarily for live sound use. I've used the XR-1001 many times as a crossover for a live sound/PA rig with success. They are very simple to set up and use and work as advertized. They lack many of the nicer features of digital x-overs, but for basic use, they work great.
Old 9th December 2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I agree with Craig. Well built, sound pretty good, sturdy.
Have never used them at home, tho....
Old 10th December 2008, 03:04 AM   #4
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Had a 4004 & built very nice , I even think the op-amps are factory socketed, so you can swap them out if wanted if I remeber correctly. I have used it home.
J & G
Old 10th December 2008, 03:18 AM   #5
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input. It would cost me about $290 AUS to get these from Queensland to Melbourne ( the XR-2001 ). Is there a more cost effective reasonable quality two channel 3 way crossover readily available in Australia and suitable for home use?
jamikl
Old 10th December 2008, 04:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

$290 FIC isn't too shabby when the cheapest price on the 2-way Behringer CX 2310 is $199
at DJ City, I don't know the current price of the 3-way but I paid about $455 when I bought my first one.
I have been reasonable happy with two of my Behringers but 1 was a lemon and service was a little slow on a replacement.
I currently have 3 of the digital XOs. Two of the 2-ways in action and a 3-way waiting on my new OB project
Old 10th December 2008, 09:57 AM   #7
kepa1 is offline kepa1  France
diyAudio Member

Hello, after reading very positive reviews of the Ashly (!) crossovers on the Lansing Heritage forums, I too would like to buy one (XR 2001 or 4001), but can't find them in France / Europe. Any clue ?

Apparently, the analog ones, even though they lack features, don't sound harsh in the medium range, like the DCX2496 can sound.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:10 AM   #8
kepa1 is offline kepa1  France
diyAudio Member

Also I wonder if it makes sense to use them as preamplifier, especially with consumer level gear (cassette deck).
Old 10th December 2008, 08:32 PM   #9
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

In the pro world the Ashley stuff is known as pretty smooth sounding. I always enjoyed using it.

Funny, I never thought the DCX2496 sounded harsh in the mids - more like "muddy" or a bit "turgid." Typical of pro stuff. But everyone's experience seems to be different. =)

But Klark Teknik? Ouch! That's harsh (a least the old stuff)
Old 10th December 2008, 09:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Persoanally ;; I've only ever used the Behringers in the bass frequencies crossing to mids fairly low /around 120/220, I know that some people consider these units "dirty or distorting" if you cross low you never seem to hear it.
It really is a cost effective solution: as really big inductors will cost more each than one of the digital units and lets face it amps are relatively cheap.
I would like to try out other brands in the future - some of the professioal studio gear looks on paper to be "Audiophile" despite that terms disfavour.

Hide this!Advertise here!