Adire Tempest in 16" PVC Pipe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Adire Tempest in 16" PVC Pipe

I have been wanting to build a new sub for HT, in a large room, and am going to use the Adire Tempest. I was looking at the Adire alignment, in a "sonotube" configuration. Instead of sonotube, however, I am going to use PVC Pipe. My brother-in-law is a plumber, and has gotten me a section of the pipe. It has a wall thickness of about 1/2 inch, and is very heavy. I figure this should work well. I have 2 questions. First, I am wondering about the length. According to what I figured, the length inside would be about 73 inches. I would be downfiring, with the ports at the opposite end. Is there any issues with standing waves, and is there any issues with the ports being at the opposite end of the driver. I have looked at some threads about tall, narrow enclosures, but after 5 pages, I still didn't seem to get any answers. The tube enclosure may not end up being permanent, as I will eventually build the sub into a furniture piece. I do, however, want to have it have a good, representative sound so that I can at least us it to find good placement in the room, so I know what to make for the final enclosure, aesthetically speaking. If it makes any difference, I am planning on using a Crown DC 300A II for power. I look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
Mark

12" pvc pipe

Hi there,

I have used an 12" 1/2 inch pipe but it the walls still seemed to flex (when touching) too much so i didnt complete the project with that pipe. My 18mm mdf cube did not do this with the same driver.
I think id would help if you placed the driver assymetricly.

Regards, Collin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.