KEF speakers, loose push-on connectors warning.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My centre speaker a Q9c started playing up (the sound kept sounding hollow with no bass) and I suspected a loose connection which it eventually turned out to be.

Having a look inside the speaker box, I found that the push on brass wire connectors, connecting the loudspeaker and also the speaker screw terminal panel were ALL VERY LOOSE. So loose in fact that they would move about if you blew on them hard.
I suppose vibration caused them to move around and create a high resistance. I solved the problem by soldering the connectors and terminals together.

Some very poor quality control here, the connectors and terminals just don't fit each other properly.

Worried now,javascript:smilie(':(') I inspected my Q55s and found exactly the same problem. When I took out one bass speaker, much to my surprise, one wire was so loose that it just fell off.

I had noticed recently that the speakers didn't sound as good as they used to do, but now, after soldering all the connectors they sound great again.
javascript:smilie(':cool:')
Might be worth while you inspecting your KEF speakers because I suspect my speakers are not the only ones suffering this problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.