Linaeum Tweeter - Please Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a pair of the ratshack linaeum tweeters cat. #40-1389 from e-bay. I plan to use them with my old KLH 6 speakers with a 2nd order high pass at 3 kHz.

I know that I need to bypass the capacitor in the linaeum, but haven't figured out how to get at it. If I go in through bottom, the plate with binding posts won't pull off. If I go in through top, I can see capacitor, but can't really get at it.

Can somebody who has used these tweeters tell me how you got at the capacitor?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Do you have a picture, I'm not familiar with that tweeter but I assume like some of the others there is a connector on the frame, a casing and the cap is inside the casing??
was this tweeter meant for top mounting on an existing box like the Fostex super-tweeter??

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a pair of the Rat Shack Linaeums that I pulled from defunct speakers. But they don't look like that.

Mine just pulled off the top of the speaker, no problem.

Sure hope you find someone who knows this stand alone model. Good luck!

Photos of Linaeum

I'm attaching photos of the tweeter. Hopefully they will be included when you look at this posting.

The reason for bypassing the capacitor in the tweeter is that I want to use the tweeter with a better crossover.

I suspect that the answer is to undo the two screw that hold the tweeter to the mounting plate.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
After popping those 2 screws you may find a good cap, but probably not just a 2uf NP 45V.
I'd use them as they are and as they are intended to be used foe a while and play with them only if you need to, the sound/look like the thing I need for a new OB project for freinds, rather than using two tweeterd front and back

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Moondog55 said:
p, but probably not just a 2uf NP 45V.
I'd use them as they are and as they are intended to be used foe a while and play with them only if you need to

IIRC the elco cap is bigger than that, there may even be a choke (there is in the Foster pod tweeter).... they do desreve poly caps, i'd get in there and swap the cap out at least.

dave

I got the capacitors out of the Linaeum tweeters.
The capacitor in there was a 50V, 4.7uf bipolar.
Assuming 8 ohms for the tweeter, that's a 4.2 kHz high pass crossover with 6db per octave.

So right now I've got the tweeters running using a 2nd order 3 kHz crossover with 12 db per octave. Here's the crossover:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=390014284860&_fvi=1

The low frequency output of the crossover is going to the KLH model 6 acoustic suspension speaker. The high frequency output of the crossover is going to the Linaeum tweeter.

The Linaeum tweeter really helps out with the highs, but I'm still going to play around with crossovers to see what sounds best.

I am in the process of adding these to some Bose 901/VI. My first plan was to build a crossover that treats the 901 as just a midrange/mid-bass. Since the cap in the Linaeum is not easily accessible nor can I read what value it is I may leave it as is for now and just make a lowpass crossover for the 901. I still need to know what the value of the cap is to know where to low pass to the 901's.

To remove the factory cap from the Linaeum would require cutting it out or sniping the leads that go from it to the + side of the actual tweeter. In my younger days I would have already done this but I am more cautious now.

I realize the reputation these speakers have which is partly my interest in modding them so as to correct where they fail.

Thanks for the info. I actually posted the above post before you did but I'm new and it didn't post immediately.

I'll leave the cap in the Linaeum alone and make a lowpass or band pass for the 901's.

Has anyone else on here attempted to add a tweeter to the much maligned 901's? I suppose a sub would really round out the package.

Adding the Linaeum tweeter to the KLH6 has given me a wonderful sound!

It's so good that I'm ripping all my CD's to lossless compression in order to get the best out of the tweeter.

It really did help to remove the original capacitor and then use a two way 3kHz 12db per octave crossover to direct the highs to the Linaeum and the lows to the KLH6.

901fixer - let us know how the 901 mod works out.

Since the 901's natually roll off at both the HF and LF without the help of the Bose Active EQ, I may not need to cross them at all. A better cap on the Linaeum is an option.

Where would I find a FR chart/curve for the 901's WITHOUT the Active EQ ? A leading issue with most BoseHaters is that these specs were never included with the speakers or offered anywhere. Surely some Hi-Fi fanatic has taken some measurements, these speakers have been out for decades. I've searched some but no luck, all the curves/charts are WITH the EQ. This info will help me determine where to bring the Linaeum in as well as a Sub in the future.

Here's a bunch of equalizer measurements for Bose 901.
http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2097
I'm attaching the best one response curve for the equalizer.

There's a bunch of curves for the equalizer there.
Presumably the speaker goes the opposite of the equalizer.

So the equalizer boosts by 2 db. at 100Hz.
Looks like you'll need a subwoofer to cover below around 100Hz.

And the equalizer boosts by 2 db. at around 3kHz.
Looks like you'll want to get Lineaum working above about 3 kHz.

I would hook up Lineaum as recommended by Radio Shack and use a subwoofer. Listen to the 901s + Subwoofer + Linaeums for a while and then think about better crossovers or replacing the cap in the Linaeums. 2nd order crossover at 3KHz sounds great in my system and should help protect Linaeum against burnout with stock capacitor.

Good luck!

Attachments

• bose901eq1gj6.gif
    bose901eq1gj6.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 221
Groovy, thanks for the info. I like the way this project will unfold for me. The 901's alone. Add the Linaeum. Add the independent ly powerd Sub which I can also use to experiment with any FR enclosures that need help below 100hz.

If I run the 901's and the Linaeum both on the same channel with only the 4.7uF cap on the tweeter, will I have any load issues with my reciever as it will be less than 8ohms? I suppose the resistance/impedance of the 901's increase above 3khz where the Linaeum starts to function. I currently have an older Sony STR-D790

Sounds like you're going to have a great system! The Bose should be an interesting combination with the Linaeum tweeter since both send lots of sound out the back to reflect off the walls.

The STR-D790 is rated for 8 ohm speakers.
The Bose 901 is an 8 ohm speaker.

So you could have minor problems with the combined Linaeum + Bose being less than 8 ohms - most likely only if you play your speakers really really loud. I wouldn't recommend that anyway. There are a number of posts from guys who burned out Linaeums. The 4.7uf capacitor is pretty lame protection especially if it's old!

If you have trouble driving the Bose and the Lineaum I'd go with a simple low pass filter for the Bose.
The simplest thing that will work, is like in this schematic.

The crossover charts at Parts Express say 8 ohms Lineaum with 4.98uf capacitor crosses over at 4kHz. So that's pretty close to whats in the Linaeum already.

They say an 8 ohm speaker (Bose) with 0.319mH inductor crosses over at 4kHz.

Or you could do what I did - buy a commercial crossover and remove that capacitor from the Linaeum.

Let me know how it sounds once you put it together!

Attachments

• crossover-component-selection-guide_clip_image001_0000.gif
    crossover-component-selection-guide_clip_image001_0000.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 190
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.