2-way speaker using T330d esotar & MW170 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2008, 01:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2-way speaker using T330d esotar & MW170

Dear all,

I'm a new memeber of this forum, first of all I say hallo! to everybody.
I need your help, I'm an Italian audiophile but I love to build something, very often results are not very good, but this time I would like to build a very good pair of speakers, starting from the combo tweeter T330D dynaudio and the midwoofer MW 170.
I've already bought both components (an offer...) so I would like to start from them to buid around them my speakers.
MW170 is similar to old 20w75 esotec midwoofer, impedance is 8 ohm, technical data are visible here.
My ideas is a sealed floorstanding speaker with a volume of 60 liters, what do you think about it???
About filter my idea was a first order filter, similar to that one used in the Dynaudio Confidence 3, crossover frequency at 2600Hz...maybe too high for the MW170.

Now I would like to receive your opinion, impressions and anything you have to say about my project.
Thanks in advace,

ciao

Massimo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mw170.jpg (71.0 KB, 257 views)
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

ciao Massimo,

interesting project.
Not so easy anyway. 60 liters appears excessive........
The esotar is very robust, crossover is possible but not sure about how good the system can sound.
Hystorycally, those 2 way with "big" midwoofers and simple filters are not so easy to work with. Sonus Faber Extrema , just for example, not so musical as a Minima .............
Do you have datasheeet with frequency response on axis and off axis for the woofer ( is it a car woofer, no?)?

Cheers,
Paolo
Old 2nd December 2008, 08:58 PM   #3
discl is offline discl  Australia
diyAudio Member

I wouldnt use the mw170s for midrange, so far all of the dynaudio automotive range drive units that ive seen have had much stiffer suspention compared to the normal range and sounded a bit different.

Ive heard a system similar to what youre planning but with two d52af domes and four 20w75s and which were integrated well and sounded great. From memory he was using somewhere around a 35l box for two 20w75s which apparently went down to 30hz 3db down.
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi, MW170 response is in attached, I'm planning to use a D54 as medium, in order to allow a better performance to MW170...this is my idea after heard your (and other) opinions.
Thanks...any additional idea is welcome!

Massimo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg data.jpg (68.5 KB, 208 views)
Old 3rd December 2008, 06:34 AM   #5
D OB G is offline D OB G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi barnabam,

I use the Esotars with a DEQX HDP3.

I've found the best results with a linear phase filter at 48 dB per octave, but, surprisingly, although with such as steep slope you'd think I could cross over low (I've even tried 1250 Hz, a bit like Seigfried Linkwitz's 1400 Hz on the Millenium), which certainly sounds good, in my opinion it sounds even better at 2500 Hz, with the same steep filter.

i.e. I'd be a bit worried by a shallow filter at 2600 Hz (even if Dynaudio themselves do it). I suppose a lot depends on the dynamic range intended.

David
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Massimo,

Those graphs are nearly invisible, too little
3 Ways? How is your designing speaker experience?
3 ways is complicated, imho 2 way is a lot more easy.
That woofer is not so bad, maybe you can push the tweeter at 2K, as SF and others have made in the past
Do you listen at very high levels?

Cheers,
Paolo

Hide this!Advertise here!