confusion: aperiodic enclosure stuffing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2008, 02:55 AM   #1
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Question confusion: aperiodic enclosure stuffing

1. Does an aperiodic enclosure need to be stuffed
AND / OR
2. Does an aperiodic enclosure need to be lined. Can I just use some light polyfil to cut down on internal reflections, or go heavy / by using fiberglass / rockwool?

The source of these imbecile questions is an article I read somewhere that states that the pathway from the driver to the membrance needs to be clear. Here it is:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Aperiodic/

I'm not talking about the membrane, rather the actual enclosure. I'm almost done with a pair of roughly 1.5 cu ft cabinets for a pair of eminence beta 12LTA I happen to own (1.5 cu.ft. because that's all the ply / mdf I have lying around the house) . I know the article lists some guidelines. but I guess I'm just looking for more opinions before I commit to an approach.

FWIW, I'm trying to see if I can execute some sort of mini basszilla , using either an open baffle audax PR170M0 / fountek ribbon or a fostex FE166E OB.
Also FWIS, I'm going to use two aperiodic membranes per side, each made up of a 4" speaker grille and the MDF itself (plan to bore plenty of holes through the MDF) with some fiberglass providing the meat of the sandwich.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (88.6 KB, 178 views)
Old 2nd December 2008, 11:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Good question, I've not used those round stuffed vents myself I use a heavily packed tunnel, but if the variovent is used to lower system resonance I think you'll still have the issues of sound wave bouncing around inside SO yes if it was me building I'd still stuff it to control internal modes, but use it only to line the sides at first 55/70mm thick should do the trick, also it will depend on how firmly you stuff those wheezer holes.
I assume the vents are directly behind the driver, gives a lot of lee-way best you can do is try various levels of lining and stuffing until it sounds right

Hide this!Advertise here!