Hi-Vi W6, Silver flute W17RC38 or Dayton RS150s - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2008, 09:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to jomatecc Send a message via Yahoo to jomatecc
Default Hi-Vi W6, Silver flute W17RC38 or Dayton RS150s

I havent been in the speaker building for a while, need to make a decision between one of the following the Hi-Vi W6 , Silver flute W17RC38, or Dayton's RS150s I choose these because of the prices which will be almost three times by the times they are in my hands (custom and shipping) I really need some input from anyone who have had any experience with them especially the silverflute and Hi-Vi any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks in advance
Old 15th March 2009, 12:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm not familiar with the Dayton but the Hi Vi W6 is said to be very similar to the ubiquitous Vifa P17 series, and it's not much cheaper either. In fact except for tweeters Hi Vi drivers are not what you'd consider a bargain anymore, many are definitely on the pricey side.

On the other hand the Silver Flute midbass driver is definitively a bargain, and on paper at least they are the best of the three drivers you mention. I have purchased a pair out of curiosity and was impressed at the build quality: sturdy cast basket, very large magnet, exotic wool fiber cone material. I haven't tried them in any project yet though.
Old 15th March 2009, 12:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are you building a two way speaker?

The RS150's are aluminum coned drivers -- and they do have that metal sound which I dislike (when used in a two way).

If you are using them as woofers in a 3 way, they work OK but don't go real deep.

JJ
Old 15th March 2009, 09:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default my choice would be the silver flutes

for the very flat response and at a decent level which is around 89 - 90 db crossover at 3khz if going 3 way find a good 4 inch mid and go with a vifa which can be found on ebay at a real low price right now but you will have to act fast
Attached Files
File Type: pdf d26nc-55-06.pdf (91.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 15th March 2009, 01:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

hi jomatecc,i built some mtm's with the silver flute's and a seas tweeter about 3 years ago.i'm very pleased with the sound and the bass output for this driver.they hold up well at higher volumes
too.infact,my wife perfers them over my all seas mtm that cost me 10 times as much.
Old 15th March 2009, 09:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: my choice would be the silver flutes

Quote:
Originally posted by mcmahon48
for the very flat response and at a decent level which is around 89 - 90 db crossover at 3khz if going 3 way find a good 4 inch mid and go with a vifa which can be found on ebay at a real low price right now but you will have to act fast
The D26 used to be Vifa's best tweeter imho, unfortunately it's become very difficult to find
Old 16th March 2009, 09:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default there has been a lot of them on ebay

I have looked a couple of times recently you have to enter just tweeter in ebay
hold on to your hat
I was able to buy 12 for 14 US plus shipping on ebay
Old 16th March 2009, 09:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm predjudiced in that SF are my new favorite woof for bookshelves.

So I vote Silver Flute

Cheers!
Old 6th July 2009, 02:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks a lot guys

Thanks everyone your input is greatly appreciated, lost patience and Went with a Seas T14RCY/P-H 5.25" with the vifa xt25 and built a smaller bookshelf system which turned out very well. but I will use the Silver Flute for my next project now that I got some needed subjective input.

regards
Old 6th July 2009, 11:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default silver flute w17RC38

Saw this review here http://www.stereomojo.com/Tanto%20Re...antoReview.htm which might be interesting to share.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!