Hi-Vi W6, Silver flute W17RC38 or Dayton RS150s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I havent been in the speaker building for a while, need to make a decision between one of the following the Hi-Vi W6 , Silver flute W17RC38, or Dayton's RS150s I choose these because of the prices which will be almost three times by the times they are in my hands (custom and shipping) I really need some input from anyone who have had any experience with them especially the silverflute and Hi-Vi any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks in advance

I'm not familiar with the Dayton but the Hi Vi W6 is said to be very similar to the ubiquitous Vifa P17 series, and it's not much cheaper either. In fact except for tweeters Hi Vi drivers are not what you'd consider a bargain anymore, many are definitely on the pricey side.

On the other hand the Silver Flute midbass driver is definitively a bargain, and on paper at least they are the best of the three drivers you mention. I have purchased a pair out of curiosity and was impressed at the build quality: sturdy cast basket, very large magnet, exotic wool fiber cone material. I haven't tried them in any project yet though.

my choice would be the silver flutes

for the very flat response and at a decent level which is around 89 - 90 db crossover at 3khz if going 3 way find a good 4 inch mid and go with a vifa which can be found on ebay at a real low price right now but you will have to act fast

Attachments

• d26nc-55-06.pdf
    91.4 KB · Views: 108
hi jomatecc,i built some mtm's with the silver flute's and a seas tweeter about 3 years ago.i'm very pleased with the sound and the bass output for this driver.they hold up well at higher volumes
too.infact,my wife perfers them over my all seas mtm that cost me 10 times as much.

Re: my choice would be the silver flutes

mcmahon48 said:
for the very flat response and at a decent level which is around 89 - 90 db crossover at 3khz if going 3 way find a good 4 inch mid and go with a vifa which can be found on ebay at a real low price right now but you will have to act fast

The D26 used to be Vifa's best tweeter imho, unfortunately it's become very difficult to find :(

Thanks a lot guys

Thanks everyone your input is greatly appreciated, lost patience and Went with a Seas T14RCY/P-H 5.25" with the vifa xt25 and built a smaller bookshelf system which turned out very well. but I will use the Silver Flute for my next project now that I got some needed subjective input.

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.