Jay's ER18RNC_27TDFC finished - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
kamppi is offline kamppi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default Jay's ER18RNC_27TDFC finished

Finally I finished my tube friendly speakers. I got them ready on last night 1 am. My daughters were sleeping, so I could not test them too well. This morning I listened to them for a while. Speakers and amplifiers are still running in, but I am already now very satisfied with the sound. I must admit that I am positively surprised about the result.

Earlier I had ZD5. These speakers are very easy to listen to and I can focus on and the music. Music just flows, also on low volume levels. Soundstage is deep and wide and this is exactly what I expected and hoped for. Immediately noticed that low end is controlled and deep enough.

I used the original XO which is available on Jays webpage. First I will let the system run in before I decide, If I need to modify the XO based on Jay's suggestions. For sure I will change the series capasitor on tweeter to better one. Now I have AudynCap KP-QS, which is not the poorest one, but I know that there are better ones available. When I know which value I want to use, I will buy ClarityCap ESA capasitors.

Thank you Jay for sharing this design on the global audio community. I think that you can be proud of your designs, specially if other designs are as good as ER18RNX / 27TDFC MTM and this speaker is excellent. I think that it gets even better and better while it is breaking in.

Thank you Mike Carrick for sharing your experiences and I have got many valuable hints from you I really value your help.

I am not totally satisfied with the woodwax on the speakers. I did quite comprehensive sanding on the cabinets and it feels like that the woodwax is floating on the surface.
When I tried same woodwax on the surface which was not sanded at all, the result was more satisfying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1040452.jpg (76.2 KB, 464 views)
Old 29th November 2008, 08:07 PM   #2
ific is offline ific  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Congratulations!

Would you like to make a comparison between this speaker and the ZD5?

Thanks in advance

ific
Old 29th November 2008, 11:33 PM   #3
blue934 is offline blue934  Canada
diyAudio Member

that looks great kamppi! i'm working on a set of jay's usher 2 ways so will be interested in your comments once you have yours dialed in. interesting finish, what is the veneer?

blue934
Old 30th November 2008, 02:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thread header is wrong. It should be ER18RNX, not RNC.

Both ZD5 and Jay's ER18RNX / 27TDFC MTM are excellent speakers. I can not say which one is better and these speakers are different. I wanted to try tube amplifier and I bought one. ZD5 can not really be used with tube amplifier and Jay's ER18RNX / 27TDFC MTM is very suitable for valves.

Speaker cabinet is build of birch plywood, I have not added veneer. I applied dark brown 'Clou' woodwax on the speakers.
Osmocolor woodwaxes are great and easy to use. Clou is also quite easy, but not on sanded suraces.

I put 3 - 4 mm bitumen pads on every wall.
Old 30th November 2008, 03:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

kamppi:

I don't suppose you would be interested in hooking the ZD5 and Jay's design up to the same solid state amplifier and giving some listening impressions?
Old 1st December 2008, 08:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Luckily I can save myself from this subjective comparison, cause I do not have ZD5's anymore. Friend of mine was eager to buy them

/Jarno

Hide this!Advertise here!