Tannoy upgrade, from 609s to...? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2008, 04:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tannoy upgrade, from 609s to...?

I am kind of new to fine audio. I have a pair of Tannoy 609s which are just fine... but I am wondering whether there's another Tannoy model which might make a sizeable improvement over these already good 609s.

I have already messaged with a member on this site named Martin and we have established the 615's with their improved bass are not worth considering, because I already have a decent sub.

Would anyone on this site like to message with me about other used Tannoy models? (I could never afford new high-end Tannoys.)

I want to run them with an 18 watt valve amp.

Tannoy has very recently advised me that for my audio room dimensions (16 feet by 11 feet by 8.5 feet) that 10" drivers would be optimum.

Has anyone had positive experience with such a model which you would like to share, re. speakers I could look for on the used market, not very old ones but say built in the 1980s or more recently?

Thanks in advance,
Neil
Old 1st December 2008, 03:13 AM   #2
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Tannoy upgrade, from 609s to...?

Quote:
Originally posted by photomusicfreak
Has anyone had positive experience with such a model which you would like to share, re. speakers I could look for on the used market, not very old ones but say built in the 1980s or more recently?
If you can put up with the way they look, I would recommend looking at the Tannoy studio monitors. The System 12 DMT II in particular is an amazing-sounding speaker. (I am admittedly biased, because I run three of them for LCR in my main stereo, albeit in bespoke sealed cabinets rather than the stock ones.) The low end and midbass sounds cleaner than the 8" and 10" Dual Concentrics at all volume levels (I also use the System 8 NFM II in my nearfield setup, and have lots of listening time with the D700 home speaker and System 10 DMT II "studio monitor.") Also, they don't do that annoying treble modulation thing that the smaller ones do when you really turn up the wick.

The CPA-12 is also one to consider, though it gives up a solid octave of bass compared to the 12 DMT II. (If you use subwoofers, it wouldn't be a problem.)

If you need something prettier, the Saturn S8 or S10, D500, D700, and D900 should all be steps up. IMO, those era Tannoys are better-sounding than most of their current line. Except the Glenair 10 and 15, which not coincidentally are the only modern Tannoys that I've heard that don't use that dumb supertweeter.

Oh, and Tannoys, like all speakers, will probably sound more accurate (though not necessarily "better") with a more powerful amp.
Old 1st December 2008, 05:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Pallas,

I appreciate your response. (And my thanks again to Martin for his earlier guidance on this topic.)

I will get back to you at greater length after I do the research on the many models you have mentioned.

Until then...

Thanks again,

Neil

Hide this!Advertise here!