Looking for small sub amp. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2001, 06:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

I am working on a subwoofer for my dorm room. Because my room is small, with many neighbors, I cant havea big massive subwoofer. I;m really into car audio, but am new to the home audio game. I was planning on using a JL Audio 6W0 subwoofer (4 ohms). . .it's intended for a car system, but I just happened to have one laying around. It has a RMS power handeling of about 60 watts. I'm looking for a small little amp to power this thing (in both size and power output). Anyone know of any inexpensive units that might get the job done or where I should start looking? thanks, Tim
Old 3rd December 2001, 07:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default i wouldn't recommend it....

I think you will be dissatisfied with the sound of that driver in your room.

This is not a JL bash- i used to own a 10w0-4 and liked it just fine. But that sub expects your car's cabin gain to make up for the lack of low end.

here's what the response curves will be 'in theory':

Click the image to open in full size.

note that even with this oversized box (see below) you've still got a F3 of 40hz.

here's what JL recommends:

Click the image to open in full size.

the smaller box will be a bit safer- but in either case your port tuning freq is in the LOW TO MID 40's (hz) so it's gonna be VERY easy to unload and damage this thing. (or you put a steep Highpass filter at just below the tuning freq.- but that just more cost and complexity)

you're probably better off finding a 10" sub to play with. I saw some Image dynamics IDQ's for $69 on ebay.... and others should know some home subs to recommend that are usually cheaper than car stuff.

also, try this: http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/idx.php3
Old 3rd December 2001, 08:38 PM   #3
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
I too would agree that you should look for another driver. Parts Express has several drivers to look at, and they also sell subwoofer plate amplifiers at a reasonable price.

http://www.partsexpress.com

Hide this!Advertise here!