Yamaha NS-1000 Tweeters Wanted Urgently

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tmuikku said:

Does anybody have info on the attenuators (or are they potentiometers)?

Hello, Tmuikko.
The L-pads are very high-quality units, made by Noble company.
They are fully copper screened, and should not be mistaken for cheap-n-nasty thingies from the Car Speaker Section :).
Just remember to spray the insides liberally with Kontakt 60 or similar cleaning spray. NOT 5-56 or the likes!
Make 5-10 turns. Let it dry out, and you will have a new pai or speakers! This goes for every speaker with variable L-pads.

It is indeed correct that the NS 1000 and 2000 x/overs employ identical slopes and x/over frequencies, though better capacitors in the NS 2000:s. I have schematics for the NS 1000:s.

I have a vaaaaaague memory from the mid-eigties, having seen the NS2k with a x/over supplied with tri-amping terminals.
Can anyone confirm or un-confirm;)?

Best rgds/Conny

Thanks for the info fellas! L-pads are rather easy to make but I'm not ready for the huzzle... If I don't manage to find x-overs and pads before christmas I'm gonna sell these puppies :)

Crossovers would be rather easy to make too, don't know about the inductors though...

pieter t:
You have spare crossovers to sell?

This is ns1000m crossover schemo I found:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1639913#post1639913

Similar to ns2000? Propably written on that thread too but have no time to read it through just right now ;)

Comparing the two crossover circuits I see two small differences, apparently because of the different woofers.
The parallel inductor in the mid section is 2,3mH for the NS2000 and 2mH for the NS1000.
The parallel capacitor in the woofer section is 88uF for the NS2000 and 94uF for the NS1000.
It is easy to add another 5,6uFin the NS2000 filter and to replace the 2,3mH inductor by a 2mH one. On the other hand when selling the crossovers I can remove some windings on the inductor to trim them to 2mH (I have a professional digital inductance meter). Replacing the 2,7uF high section cap by some top quality one (matter of taste) then will bring the crossover up to top quality level. It might be useful to clean the L pads, see the other thread (also for possible further tweaks).
So when you really want to rebuild the speakers for your own use I will be pleased to help you with these crossovers.

Pieter

Here's the schematic of the 1000M if you want to build your own crossovers.

Attachments

• yam1000mxover.jpg
    yam1000mxover.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 380
Hi all!

I just got lucky with my yams. I contacted the guy at local tv-station who repairs audio stuff there and bought another pair of Genelec S45YA speakers (yamaha ns1000m speaker box with Genelec s30 triamps w/ different crossover filter for ns1000 as I mentioned earlier) and he's going to repair my broken amps too! I got the new pair cheaper than what Genelec said the repair would be for my broken amps ;)

We had a little chat about the history. He said there hasn't been even single broken tweeter/mid/bass element in these active versions in his whole 20+ year time! It is always the amp that goes.

They have had more than thousand Y45SA made and lately been slowly replacing with never monitors. (When one amp blows in 5.1 setup room the whole set is replaced!). So, he has heaps of replacement speaker elements if someone is interested (didn't ask how much they'll cost but propably cheap, + shipping from Finland).

Hi Hugomac,

How is your B2 doing??
I bought one a couple of months ago.
It played but I did not connect it to the speakers before checking the technical state, especially the electrolytic capacitors. After all the amplifier is almost 30 years old.
Well it turned out that almost all capacitors were really bad. Main power supply capacitors were about halve of their nominal 18000 uF or worse. Here in the Netherlands we have 230 volt and the B2 has a 220 volt connection, but nevertheless the power supply voltage turned out to be + and - 63 volt (in stead of the + and - 55 volt indicated in the service manual). Therefore the original 63 volt power supply capacitors were replaced by 80 volts / 15000 uF types, as well as all capacitors in the high voltage power supply and some others.
Also the input sensitivity control circuit was bypassed because of dirty pots, so the signal path is more direct and shorter.
The amplifier is sounding excellent and I hope to enjoy it for some time to come.
When your B2 is in its original state you might consider having it checked. Failing amplifiers are loudspeaker destroyers.

Pieter

Hi
Looking to try one of those Genelec S45YA
I own 2 pair of NS1000 and would like to by the crossover amp ...
any idea where to find one ?
thanks
Phil:D

Hi! I believe s45ya stuff is pretty much inside Finnish borders. But, you could look for Genelec s30 plate amps since they are the same. Just replace some components of the crossovers. Here are the crossover specs of the S45YA amps.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/126270-yamaha-ns1000-crossover-tweaks-46.html#post2783914

Yamaha Tweeter Reapair - Most Models including NS1000 and NS1000M

I can fix most Yamaha Tweeters. Especially NS-1000 a NS-1000M. I can fix most if not all models i.e. NS-500 and NS-500M as well. Please contact me if you think I can be of help to you. I repair these tweeters and then ship you back your own fully repaired tweeter worldwide. My prices are very reasonable and I do a great job. Non Voice coil repairs are $75 each plus return shipping. Voice coil replacement is $125 each plus return shipping. Paypal adds 4.25% to the total.
Michael A. Marks
539 Briarwood Drive
Clarksville, TN 37040
(931) 561-1668
MichaelAlanMarks@aol.com

Hello MagicMarksy

I am sure that there are many who would welcome your service, as this is for the most part unheard of. I am equally sure - this being a DIY forum - that many would like to hear about how you go about doing your repairs, especially considering the construction of these drivers. Would you mind sharing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.