EPI 110C speakerset - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2008, 03:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EPI 110C speakerset

In the beginning of a hobby, money is an issue and I would like to find some good speakers at a good price. I have come across a guy selling a Epicure 110C speakerset, its abit worn on the exterior but the units are descriped as 100% fine.

I have only just seen in a glimpse in another thread about someone would use his EPI 100 speakers when testing of his amplifier was done, they are pricetagged 1200 kr with shipping included.

Its about 205$ / 161€ / 137£

So is this worth going for at a first pair of speakers for tube amps, or would i be able to find something similar cheaper or better at same price?

Pictures:
http://gratisupload.dk/download/18245/
http://gratisupload.dk/download/18244/
http://gratisupload.dk/download/18243/
http://gratisupload.dk/download/18242/

Kind regards
Mads
Old 24th November 2008, 05:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: EPI 110C speakerset

Quote:
Originally posted by MadsKaizer

So is this worth going for at a first pair of speakers for tube amps, or would i be able to find something similar cheaper or better at same price?

Kind regards
Mads
Hi,

I have owned one pair of EPI 110. This is one of the best speakers for tube amplifiers with a very natural sound - easy to drive. Especially piano and voices sounds real - A telephone ring on Roger Waters LP forced me to take the telephone.
The woofer chassis looks thin and the square formed ferite magnet does not give anyone a feeling of reliance. Never the less - the combination of the inverted oil damped dome tweeter and the blue/green woofercone delivers one exstra ordinary continuity in soundstage.

Buy them - new surroundings - But not by "bass rep"!. In spite of the age of approx. 25-30years the ferite magnet field strength should be sufficiant.

Look for any oil leakage close to the inverted dome on the frontplate. The tweeters - They are difficult to find these days.

rgds

Kim
Old 24th November 2008, 09:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you do decide to purchase these, or any other EPI, speakers and need part/service there is a company in New Hampshire, USA that is run by a former employee of EPI. It's called Human Speakers.

www.humanspeakers.com

I have no affiliation with them whatsoever, just thought I would share this information.

Peace,

Dave
Old 26th November 2008, 07:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Looking on the zoomed picture of the tweeter, it looks intact, but thats only one of the speakers.

To that price, is there any alternatives/newer speakers I should take a look at?

What do you mean by "bass rep."?

I found the humanspeakers homepage too, but thanks for linking it
Old 26th November 2008, 03:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default AR6 or AR8

Quote:

To that price, is there any alternatives/newer speakers I should take a look at?

What do you mean by "bass rep."?

A friend I know in Tappernøje, has several pairs of the AR two way speaker AR6 - am not quite sure of the number could be AR8 - but he has a renewed pair for sale - 8" woofer and paper tweeter. The soundstage is very wide and detailed - could be an option for a 20Watt tubeamp. Difficult to find newer good sounding speakers to a resonable price.

http://www.basrep.dk/ makes reconing and surroundings - but do it yourself and find advice at www.diagrammer.hobbysider.dk and the AR3a "button". Easy to buy surroundings and glue in Holland.
Old 26th November 2008, 04:33 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I started out in University with brand new EPI100. The 110 is a newer version of the same speaker -- primarily the tweeter* is prettier. The XO inside is typically an 8 uF elco which is what would make them tube friendly (if you actually get them a poly cap, better wire & better terminals would be a good quick upgrade).

*(do check to make sure the front bezel is not cracked, and that the magnet is still attached -- they have a tendency to fall off -- between Barry & i we may have tweeters)

Every one of these that i have run into has had to have the surrounds replaced.

These sell used around here for $5-25/pr in typical condition, and up to $90-100/pr with the surrounds fixed -- personally i think that is pushing it. In Europe you'd have to factor in a trip across the Atlantic.

dave
Old 26th November 2008, 06:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Isophon BS60/4

Quote:

Sensitivity 94dB/1W - PSL245/60/4 Ohm 10" woofer alnico - 1318 oval midrange - F713 oval tweeter 12dB/octave - 6dB/octave - 6dB/octave deliver soundstage , perspective and clear sound as 10" Tannoy coaxial driver.

Look at picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic_0043.jpg (38.7 KB, 153 views)
Old 26th November 2008, 08:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Isophon BS60/4

Quote:
Originally posted by kimjul2005

Sensitivity 94dB/1W - PSL245/60/4 Ohm 10" woofer alnico - 1318 oval midrange - F713 oval tweeter 12dB/octave - 6dB/octave - 6dB/octave deliver soundstage , perspective and clear sound as 10" Tannoy coaxial driver.

Look at picture.

Forgot to say that the showed cabinet and units are not for sale -

But if you want to built a pair , I have bought 6 speaker vintage renewed units from Isophon in Berlin. The only thing different is the tweeter - as shown on the picture the old tweeter is oval ( 1972) - the newer type(1977) is round approx 4" dia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg isophon3vejs_resized2005.jpg (12.0 KB, 134 views)
Old 26th November 2008, 09:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Planet10, you make these sounds real expensive, I asked the seller and they have never been repaired, but he still uses them and says they are fine. But as you said, this being in Denmark the price rises a lot on foreign vintage electronics.

KimJul, I did wonder if it was a speaker set that was manufactured but with only unit names it wasn't to find anywhere.

I don't think I will start building my own to start with, I got a feeling it wont be great and properly more expensive with speakers, wood and filters, even if I build it all myself its still a lot of time to invest in it too. There is more to building speakers than just cutting the holes in a wooden box to make good ones (so i think)

But feel free to send me a price on those units.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:34 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Isophon BS60/4

Quote:
Originally posted by kimjul2005
Isophon in Berlin.
That 4-way could probably be simiplified and made into a better speaker.

Do you have a bigger picture -- and a picture of the fronts -- of those isophons? They are particularily nice vintage units, far higher build quality than the EPIs. And given the sample measurements i've made of similar probably happiest on an open baffle.

I've had Germans pay me big bucks to ship Isophons back across the Atlantic (the 8x12 oval with the co-axially mounted 4" tweeter for instance)

I guess there is an aura associated with stuff from overseas... there is a lot of nice European stuff that people pay a premium over here for.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iso8x12coax.jpg (33.0 KB, 124 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!