EPI 110C speakerset

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the beginning of a hobby, money is an issue and I would like to find some good speakers at a good price. I have come across a guy selling a Epicure 110C speakerset, its abit worn on the exterior but the units are descriped as 100% fine.

I have only just seen in a glimpse in another thread about someone would use his EPI 100 speakers when testing of his amplifier was done, they are pricetagged 1200 kr with shipping included.

Its about 205$ / 161€ / 137£

So is this worth going for at a first pair of speakers for tube amps, or would i be able to find something similar cheaper or better at same price?

Pictures:
http://gratisupload.dk/download/18245/
http://gratisupload.dk/download/18244/
http://gratisupload.dk/download/18243/
http://gratisupload.dk/download/18242/

Kind regards
Mads

MadsKaizer said:

So is this worth going for at a first pair of speakers for tube amps, or would i be able to find something similar cheaper or better at same price?

Kind regards
Mads

Hi,

I have owned one pair of EPI 110. This is one of the best speakers for tube amplifiers with a very natural sound - easy to drive. Especially piano and voices sounds real - A telephone ring on Roger Waters LP forced me to take the telephone.
The woofer chassis looks thin and the square formed ferite magnet does not give anyone a feeling of reliance. Never the less - the combination of the inverted oil damped dome tweeter and the blue/green woofercone delivers one exstra ordinary continuity in soundstage.

Buy them - new surroundings - But not by "bass rep"!. In spite of the age of approx. 25-30years the ferite magnet field strength should be sufficiant.

Look for any oil leakage close to the inverted dome on the frontplate. The tweeters - They are difficult to find these days.

rgds

Kim

AR6 or AR8

MadsKaizer said:

To that price, is there any alternatives/newer speakers I should take a look at?

What do you mean by "bass rep."?

:)

A friend I know in Tappernøje, has several pairs of the AR two way speaker AR6 - am not quite sure of the number could be AR8 - but he has a renewed pair for sale - 8" woofer and paper tweeter. The soundstage is very wide and detailed - could be an option for a 20Watt tubeamp. Difficult to find newer good sounding speakers to a resonable price.

http://www.basrep.dk/ makes reconing and surroundings - but do it yourself and find advice at www.diagrammer.hobbysider.dk and the AR3a "button". Easy to buy surroundings and glue in Holland.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I started out in University with brand new EPI100. The 110 is a newer version of the same speaker -- primarily the tweeter* is prettier. The XO inside is typically an 8 uF elco which is what would make them tube friendly (if you actually get them a poly cap, better wire & better terminals would be a good quick upgrade).

*(do check to make sure the front bezel is not cracked, and that the magnet is still attached -- they have a tendency to fall off -- between Barry & i we may have tweeters)

Every one of these that i have run into has had to have the surrounds replaced.

These sell used around here for $5-25/pr in typical condition, and up to $90-100/pr with the surrounds fixed -- personally i think that is pushing it. In Europe you'd have to factor in a trip across the Atlantic.

dave

Isophon BS60/4

MadsKaizer said:

To that price, is there any alternatives/newer speakers I should take a look at?

Sensitivity 94dB/1W - PSL245/60/4 Ohm 10" woofer alnico - 1318 oval midrange - F713 oval tweeter 12dB/octave - 6dB/octave - 6dB/octave deliver soundstage , perspective and clear sound as 10" Tannoy coaxial driver.

Look at picture.

Attachments

• pic_0043.jpg
    pic_0043.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 262
Re: Isophon BS60/4

kimjul2005 said:

Sensitivity 94dB/1W - PSL245/60/4 Ohm 10" woofer alnico - 1318 oval midrange - F713 oval tweeter 12dB/octave - 6dB/octave - 6dB/octave deliver soundstage , perspective and clear sound as 10" Tannoy coaxial driver.

Look at picture.

Forgot to say that the showed cabinet and units are not for sale -

But if you want to built a pair , I have bought 6 speaker vintage renewed units from Isophon in Berlin. The only thing different is the tweeter - as shown on the picture the old tweeter is oval ( 1972) - the newer type(1977) is round approx 4" dia.

Attachments

• isophon3vejs_resized2005.jpg
    isophon3vejs_resized2005.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 213
Planet10, you make these sounds real expensive, I asked the seller and they have never been repaired, but he still uses them and says they are fine. But as you said, this being in Denmark the price rises a lot on foreign vintage electronics.

KimJul, I did wonder if it was a speaker set that was manufactured but with only unit names it wasn't to find anywhere.

I don't think I will start building my own to start with, I got a feeling it wont be great and properly more expensive with speakers, wood and filters, even if I build it all myself its still a lot of time to invest in it too. There is more to building speakers than just cutting the holes in a wooden box to make good ones (so i think) :D

But feel free to send me a price on those units.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Isophon BS60/4

kimjul2005 said:
Isophon in Berlin.

That 4-way could probably be simiplified and made into a better speaker.

Do you have a bigger picture -- and a picture of the fronts -- of those isophons? They are particularily nice vintage units, far higher build quality than the EPIs. And given the sample measurements i've made of similar probably happiest on an open baffle.

I've had Germans pay me big bucks to ship Isophons back across the Atlantic (the 8x12 oval with the co-axially mounted 4" tweeter for instance)

I guess there is an aura associated with stuff from overseas... there is a lot of nice European stuff that people pay a premium over here for.

dave

Attachments

• iso8x12coax.jpg
    iso8x12coax.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 205
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MadsKaizer said:
I don't think I will start building my own to start with, I got a feeling it wont be great and properly more expensive with speakers, wood and filters, even if I build it all myself its still a lot of time to invest in it too. There is more to building speakers than just cutting the holes in a wooden box to make good ones (so i think)

Consider starting with a simple full-range speaker. There are a lot of proven designs out there already, and a raft of vintage drivers (the ones above could be considered premium examples) that cost almost nothing, mount on an open baffle and can communicate way more musical emotion than the EPIs.

dave

MDF speakerbox?

MadsKaizer said:

KimJul, I did wonder if it was a speaker set that was manufactured but with only unit names it wasn't to find anywhere.

I don't think I will start building my own to start with, I got a feeling it wont be great and properly more expensive with speakers, wood and filters, even if I build it all myself its still a lot of time to invest in it too. There is more to building speakers than just cutting the holes in a wooden box to make good ones (so i think) :D

But feel free to send me a price on those units.

On the picture please find S5004 from 1975 . The kit includes crossover and units. It has to be the famous PSL245/60/4 ! The unit goes straight down to 35 Hz in acoustic suspension and a 60 Liter box. - Just like AR 10" woofer but much more sensitive up around 93-94dB - Just because of the "horse shoe" alnico nature magnet. One could laugh at the oval midrange HMS1318 , but you will need a lot time find a unit with more clean and detailed reproduktion of voices and piano than this Isophon speaker. In the 65 liter box you saw , a Vifa dome takes care of frequences over 15kHz because the oval tweeter. F713 has a roll of around 16 kHz.

You have to pay approx 80 US dollar or 400 Dkr for two MDF boxes - in cut out pieces ( 1 Liter indoor glue approx 100Dkr). The crossovers are simple and I may have the parts - lets say 100Dkr for the crossover parts and 1100Dkr for the units - I will let you have two vintage Vifa domes , never used, for free.
1600Dkr for a pair of easy drive good sounding speakers - and a lot of work.

It's easyer to buy a finished pair - but you hav'nt done it by yourself.

Attachments

• seite 3.jpg
    seite 3.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 185
Re: Re: Re: Isophon BS60/4

planet10 said:

Do you have a bigger picture -- and a picture of the fronts -- of those isophons? They are particularily nice vintage units, far higher build quality than the EPIs. And given the sample measurements i've made of similar probably happiest on an open baffle.

I've had Germans pay me big bucks to ship Isophons back across the Atlantic (the 8x12 oval with the co-axially mounted 4" tweeter for instance)

dave

The oval coaxial speaker showed is PH2132E - In bass-reflex box of 70 liter and a square formed port of 7,5cm x 15 cm and a length of 14cm it goes down to 52 Hz - 3dB and "keep your hand on the wheel" with a sensitivity of less than 0,40Watt/96dB - The backside openings of the unit need in this case to have a thin cloth glued on to the chassis. This oval Isophon speaker has attack.

It is difficult to make the S5004 any better - even without the dome Roger Waters singing(talking) voice sounds right.

It took quite a long time to finish the frontplate, because the Isophon units needs backmounting. Originally Isophon just made an CNC cutout , but I used a lot of time to smooth the edges seen from the front.

Attachments

• pic_0044.jpg
    pic_0044.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 163
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Isophon BS60/4

planet10 said:

For a start, stack all 4 of the drivers vertically in a line and orient the long axis vertically.

dave

Has been done - several positions has been tryed, but messurement in sitting position with Brüel&Kjær equipment shows a degrading of linearity in the" listening window" - approx 70 75 cm from the floor - we were not aware that the Isophon engineers had considered, that the oval midrange and the way that this unit forces the molecules needs this particular placement on the frontplate.
As for the tweeter - you are right - originally they were all three in line.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.