AR3a "improved" - It works!

If anyone has interest - The AR3a "improved" crossover works.

Please find the schematic and pictures of the finished result at :

www.diagrammer.hobbysider.dk and the AR3a "button".

The AR3a "improved" is ready for playing and sounds great - best with only the specified 1 Ohm serial resistor for the midrange and no reduction of the tweeter signal. Very open sound together with expanded stereo perspective and the well known AR woofer attack.

rgds

Attachments

• pic_0041.jpg
    pic_0041.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 580
Giving this thread a bump as #2 son returned the AR3a's he had in his living room for the past 5 years. He did the L-Pad replacement, new woofer gaskets etc. (He's moving to Pittsburgh from NJ). One of his kids put a nice hole in the grill cloth, otherwise they're in good shape.

I bought these in NYC in the mid-1970's. A workmate had a pair as well, had purchased a Pioneer "Super Tweeter" to help them out.

The XO design presented here might solve some of that issue. In the interim here are impedance charts for the 3 components:

Attachments

• AR3a_Bass.png
    AR3a_Bass.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 165
  • AR3a_Mid.png
    AR3a_Mid.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 147
  • AR3a_Tweet.png
    AR3a_Tweet.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 158
This is an oldie. Do you think you'll try this crossover?

Yupp. why not? They only have numismatic value if they sit out in the library and don't get played.

Will be intersting tp document/

I've lost the correspondence between me and AR back in the late 1970's -- these were powered with a Pioneer SX-838 and sounded pretty good, but a bunch of kids came along...