3 years worth of DIY Madness (somebody Help me)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All righty now.

This thread will probably blow up all of your computers with the sheer volume of photos, but I just wanted to post my last 3 years of Sheer DIY insanity.

I will start with my first cab ever.

I Dub it the BS-212
I designed it because after much modeling and product reviews I realized most speakers manufacturers had some real ludicrous sub bass specs.

I wanted to build something that could really deliver Sub Bass. After I spent many months modeling Drivers. I found that I could make a fairly Cost effective relatively small, relatively high output vented subwoofer using 4 eminence lab12's. Relatively Small being 12cu' (But conveniently I could make 2 6cu' cabs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

groupshotre2.jpg

BS-212re.jpg

Some time after building these I get myself an awesome little red 84 Toyota Celica.

It took me all of 2 minutes to become completely Driven Insane by the 3" in dash speakers. I spent a few hours trying to figure out if I could fit something better in the cramped Dash board. Gave up on that and started Staring at the "Oh S*!@" handles in the back seat I figured there has to be someway I can hang something from there.

Any how I ended up with this

Used PVC Pipe
Some old Seas 4.5" polycone, and a
Focal Titanium Trioxide Tweeter.

TheTube.jpg

And I made a little sealed sub with an old JBL120A out of some Jubles.

My next Box I made was a Sealed sub for my friend. Its a .707Q linkwitz Transform

Using a pair of Lab 12's again.

At Some Point I started Working on my Good Polar Response 3 way PA using

1 RCF 15
4 SES 5.5 inch drivers
and a B&C DE-250 on a DDS CD-100 horn

I call it the barfly but only tested and played with it a little.

Around the Same Time I started my 3 Way

Home Stereo, that was supposed to be able to do Full scale headroom in a home environment.

I used
a couple of peerless 8"s
a Seas 5.5"
and a Vifa DX tweeter

These can do Theoretically 110dB at 1M from 80Hz-20kHz

Sweep with and without Fiber Glass Tweeter Damper (diffraction eradicator)

HomeWandWoutFiberglass.jpg

My Tapped Horn:

This was my attempt at playing with Danley's DTS-20 External dimmensions and seeing how close I could get in performance

I used Akabak for my initial cabinet modeling Seemed almost right.

thclosed.jpg

AkaTHpredictions.jpg

ThProtoFinal.jpg

Somewheres I decided to build some new boxes for my JBL 2225s

And try and add some sparkle to the dull top end of my JBL2245 horns by adding some Old JBL 077's to the top.

Madness

And that leaves us at the "Hi-Fi" Bass rig /awsome sealed sub

DSC02064-1.jpg

Its been a crazy 3 years I have no Idea where I found the time.

Any questions, comments, threats welcome.

Antone!

planet10 said:
Impessive,,, are you going to post some construction details & plans?

dave

The BS-212 I have Posted .dwgs on Pro Sound Web.

I had a laptop stolen and lost the .dwg's for the Bar Flay and the 3 way Home stereo. (Funny story Reported Serial number to police and got it back 6 months later found in meth lab but wiped with a fake cop of Vista)

That Tapped Horn I can post the Dimensions (and Have already in the Colaborative Tapped Horn section)

The Bass rig I'll keep to myself for now, though its nothing special.

I probably have the specifics of the Tube somewhere, but would have to dig it up.

I used Harris Tech Bass Box Pro for most of the enclosure modeling, and auto cad for the cabinet design.

I may have the Cad photos somewhere for the Dual Sealed Sub (It was built to house the Dayton 1kW plate amp, so Some internal dimensions would need to change if you didn't want to use that amp.

Antone-

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
sumsound said:
This thread will probably blow up all of your computers with the sheer volume of photos,/B]

Not bad, actually. Considering the size and number - Photobucket must be running fast these days.

Well I can see someone likes low bass and cotton batting insulation. :) What's the 5th string on a bass tuned to? Low B?

Impressive work. Don't know how you found the time, either - but it looks like you had fun! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Re: 3 years worth of DIY Madness (somebody Help me)

panomaniac said:

Not bad, actually. Considering the size and number - Photobucket must be running fast these days.

Well I can see someone likes low bass and cotton batting insulation. :) What's the 5th string on a bass tuned to? Low B?

Impressive work. Don't know how you found the time, either - but it looks like you had fun! Thanks for sharing.

Its actually Burber Carpet Padding (a byproduct of the matress industry).

The purple cabinets I was working on while having a full time Job, and the shop is 50miles south of the Golden Gate Bridge where I work.

Any of you who know the commute know the horror.

I spent many a night doing wood work until 3am+ than turning around and going right back to work.

Awsome!!

Re: Re: Re: 3 years worth of DIY Madness (somebody Help me)

DaveCan said:
I noticed there was a camera set up to record the band? How bout a vid of all the gear in action or a crazy bass solo:cool:

Here's my uncles site, also a fellow bass player http://members.shaw.ca/briannewcombe/
http://www.myspace.com/briannewcombe

Dave:)

DaveCan said:

A fifth string provides a greater lower range if a low B is used , or a greater upper range if a high C string is added than a four string ,and gives access to more notes for any given hand position.

I took some cheesy recordings on my camera of My friend playing through just the purple tops. But I didn't get their in time to get his Solos.

Somewhere I have a recording of me playing through the BS-212 maybe I'll post those.

I actually Tune the instrument down a whole step so its Tunned A to A

27.5Hz Fundamental (well at least a good amount of 55Hz 2nd harmonic)

Antone-

Yeah, that is real cool he was on Dreamboat Annie.. On the LP he is mentioned in the credit section for each song, for bass on the song How Deep it Goes, but on the CD nothing about him.. When I listen to that album the bass quality on the song he did sounds a tad better to me than all the others done by Steve Fossen.. If anyone has the album crank it up ,and see if I`m just biased about the bass, or if it`s better in quality than the other songs:cool: That has got to be ONE of the better classic rock female vocal albums ever imo..

Also didn`t yàll notice he also laid down some bass for Jessica Simpson:clown:

cool he`s mentioned here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamboat_Annie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 years worth of DIY Madness (somebody Help me)

panomaniac said:

Yikes! That's low. At least you're honest that it's mostly the harmonics you hear. :)

Equal loudness hearing curves aside, the bass pickup is in a terrible position to pickup the open strings fundamental proportional to its second harmonic (it would have to be at the 12 fret to be in the Ideal position but then your in the 2nd harmonic null.

mightydub said:
let me guess - you're single, no kids, right?

I like the use of a toilet hold down flange for mounting the speakers in your PVC project. Takes a plumber to recognize that.

Nope no kids, just a GF.

I walked into the hardware store with my seas speaker, and was thrilled that the toilet flange worked.

Those little things sound pretty good. I think I should put a fiberglass damper around the thing, to kill some diffraction.

col said:
nice work - I notice that several of your sub designs are sealed with one driver pointing out of the box and one driver pointing in. Could you give an explanation to why you design in this manner and what advantage you have found?

cheers,
col.

The th BS-212 is a ported sub, but the benefit of reverse firing reduces 2nd harmonic distortion (possibly other even harmonics).

Subjectively, the 3 way stereo, and the pair of BS-212 subs make for one awesome home stereo. Give a little appropriate EQ boost bellow 80Hz (I do 6dB shelve) and and extra 3dB bump at 20Hz.

Its simply stunning having that much clean sub bass headroom for medium small listening environment.

Antone-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.