Build Replica IMF Transmission Line Speakers??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2008, 12:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Build Replica IMF Transmission Line Speakers???

Hi

I want to build a pair of big IMF speakers.

I have all the tools, saw bench / router erc.., but no plans.

Does anyone know where I'd get the plans for IMFs?

Thanks
Old 23rd November 2008, 06:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Which IMF's??
I have some plans on disk courtesy of another member but do you have the KEF drivers ??
I have to assume you mean the big Tranmission line monitors.
I was contemplating similar plans but gave them up, sold the B-139s on Ebay.
If you want the pagesI'll see if I can drag them up from the basement of the HD
regards
Ted
Old 23rd November 2008, 06:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Just found the plans' actually for the Rogers implementation
Old 23rd November 2008, 07:28 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55
Just found the plans' actually for the Rogers implementation
You might have got those from me...

The same question just came up on the IMF mail list... that you strummer?

When i get to my main 'puter i'll copy and paste my reply to this thread for comment.

dave
Old 23rd November 2008, 07:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Dave I got many plans from you for TL's with B-139's but these plans came via a member in Sydney ( Andy G also got a copy I think ) Copy of old magazine article
Old 23rd November 2008, 07:58 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are actually 2 versions of the Rogers Pro9 TL... the 1st a 4-way published in HiFi Answers (which i have a pdf of) and an "improved" 3-way done for Falcon Electronics.

Neither is reallybig enuff to get the most out of the driver.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif rogerspro9tl-variation.gif (23.8 KB, 978 views)
Old 23rd November 2008, 08:00 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Here is my reply to the IMF list....

Ian,

>Has anyone here attempted to build a pair of Replica IMFs?
>>I would like to build the boxes & use currently available drivers.
>>Does anyone have Plans?

Here is your starting point... the Classic TL Revisted. <http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/vProjects.html>

It is very much aimed directly at the Radford/IMF mold. Uses the Seas 25F-EW* if you aren't just bunging the World Design 2-way Kit into it (i wouldn't)

<http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/wd25ahfw1a.html>
<http://wduk.worldomain.net/forum/sho...7643#post37643>

*(looks like the have gone & discontinued that one now... my guess at replacement is the CA25RE5 <http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vi...50_ca25re4.pdf>, but there are 3 candidates, i'm checking with Scott to see which one best fits)

Personally I'd treat the woofer, and then -- depending on budget -- use a modified Fostex FE127e or FX120 (or if you have a BIG budget, F120A) as mid or mid-tweeter, and maybe a tweeter on top of that. And i'd biamp to reduce the XO complexity.

You can of course use whatever you want on the top, but given that tweeters these days are much better than the ones available in the day, a 2-way on top (as opposed to the 3-way used in most IMFs) would be the way to go. The easy way to do it would be to go looking for an already well sorted mini-monitor project, and put that on the top -- with the woofer underneath you'd want to pick one that by itself is bass deficient, but superb in the mid/top.

XOs i'd push down to 200-250 (nominal baffle step on these is going to be ~250 Hz) and use a mid that gets the HF XO up to at least 5k. Done right this should outperform any IMF currently still alive, but retain those things the IMF does so well.

If 1 10 isn't sufficient bottom (it was for IMF, but not some of the Radfords), you can double the cross-section of the line, and mount 2 woofers (i'd make the cabinet a bit wider to push the XO frequency down and mount the woofers on the side push-push).

dave
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Bass unit on this one is the Seas A26RE4:http://seas.worldomain.net/pdf/H1411.pdf . As Dave mentions, I probably wouldn't try going 2 way with them -I'd either use a 3 way, if you can find a suitable midrange unit that actually does cover the midband (200Hz - 5KHz at least), or cross to a wide-range driver like one of the Fostex units. Oddly enough, I was discussing this with a chap who's built a pair & my suggestion at the time was an FF85K, crossed at 500Hz. Dave's 127 / FX120 / F120a with a lower XO point as they have better power-handling than the 3in FF85K would also be a good plan IMO.
Old 24th November 2008, 09:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Transmission Line

I am in the final stages of construction of a replica hi-fi answers transmission line circa early 70s.I have made a couple of variations to the original design.Instead of the KEF t27 tweeter i am using the celestion HF1300 but still use the B139,B127 and Coles STC4001G super tweeter.For a crossover i am using cambridge R50.Speaker box consists of 35MM MDF and long haired wool fibres, total weight per box about 60Kg.Also the front was divided into two sections comprising base/mid range and tweeter/super tweeter the reason for this was that if i decide to change any speaker i will not have to make a complete front again and have to go through all the cutting out and rebating process again.
Old 24th November 2008, 09:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default transmission line

Sorry for my typo should read B139/B110

Hide this!Advertise here!