Need help with design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had this idea in my dreams; a small 3 way active system with the woofer facing up. I have a few bookshelf speakers that I'd like to replace, notably a JVC MX-J900; I still have the speakers but the main console was used for SMD soldering practice :)

I haven't thought about it much, I don't even know if it's a good idea... I'd first like some comments on the dimensions of the "the thing". I don't really know how to build it either: I live in an apartment which is a real show-stopper for trying stuff.

Attachments

• ideaactivespeaker.png
    ideaactivespeaker.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 143
Cal Weldon said:
Interesting design.

You will have to find a woofer that is suited for horizontal mounting so you don't have excess sag which brings up the question of what you are trying to achieve by doing it this way?

The mid will need it's own cabinet inside the main box.

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about a HiVi M12 for the woofer
Xmax: 7.2mm
Fs is 27Hz

Which gives 4.73% (close to the 5% "limit") if the 24,849 / ( Xmax * Fs²) formula is used.

I had a really bad idea; why not just put 3vdc on the driver, constantly ? With a DC resistance of 3.4 ohms, 2.7 watts would be dissipated - power requirements aren't too high, "only" 1 amp...

Or why not the HiVi MY8N: Xmax of 5mm and Fs of 37Hz

For the midrange I was thinking about a HiVi F6N. The mid is going to be vented 15L; since these are the recommended specs of the F6N. As for the tweeter, I'd like to use a Vifa XT25TG30-04.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.