Proac Studio200 - Upgrade mods help needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2008, 04:08 PM   #1
stu.dio is offline stu.dio  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default Proac Studio200 - Upgrade mods help needed

I'm an absolute novice electronics wise and need some advice. About a year ago I replaced the scanspeak 8542 drivers for 8545's and have enjoyed them since (see a previous thread if interested there are pictures of this).
Well it's that time of the year and I have an itch to replace the Ferrite-cored Inductors to Air Cored ones as I have read they perform better. I would also like to change the capacitors to Hovland Musicaps - again from reading about their performance on the net. Problem is I have no idea what the like for like is. Does anyone have a clue? bar me taking them out and going to an electricians to tell me. I have tried asking an engineer at ProAc - but they don't let anything out.
Any light shed on this would be of great help. PS I did look at the crossover when I last has them opened up and it does not state the values on the components - only on the resistors.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th November 2008, 04:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Like for like = same electrical values, if that's what you mean.

Cored inductors are often used as the primary inductor in lowpass filters - advisable to keep them there, perhaps change the others. But you will never hear a difference swapping air cores for air cores - they are coils of wire and there are no audible differences considering how simple they all are.

Replacing stock poly caps with exotic versions will only drain your wallet - it won't change the sound quality. Even electrolytics are fine unless > 20 years old - if you're going to replace with polys buy reasonably priced ones.

There is a lot of mythology out there regarding crossover components and audible differences - and I'm sure somebody may post here in disagreement with me, but these are all very simple electonic components all with the same physics and they simply do not contribute to audible differences.
Old 21st November 2008, 02:19 AM   #3
stu.dio is offline stu.dio  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sdclc126
Like for like = same electrical values, if that's what you mean.

Cored inductors are often used as the primary inductor in lowpass filters - advisable to keep them there, perhaps change the others. But you will never hear a difference swapping air cores for air cores - they are coils of wire and there are no audible differences considering how simple they all are.
Thank you for the sage advice - but what I am keen to do is replace the magnetic cored wire inductors with Air cored versions of the same electrical values.

I fully appreciate the physics point of view - BUT.... I have no reason to do so just need so.

So far with these speakers I have replaced the woofers to said 8545, the tweeters from Seas 562s to SS 9500's replaced the internal wiring with the Chord Company speaker cable that I am using externally - all the changes have made an audible improvement, not that I can compare them anymore.

I guess the "need" comes from I want to know I have done the most I can to get the best I can.

I have attached an image of the crossover I am looking at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proac-studio-200-xo.jpg (41.3 KB, 94 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!