Need good drivers for 'copper' speaker cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But aren't those notches just because of the time-misalignment of the drivers? Surely the woofer needs delaying.

Let's see: wavelength at 6kHz is a tad over 2 inches, or just over 1" for 180 degree phase shift... and how far behind the cone is the D220i diaphragm? I bet it's a little over an inch. I'll try and measure how well delay cleans this up after I assemble my 10cx/220ti vocal wedges in a few weeks...
Good thought, and I look forward to reviewing your findings.

The high-Q notches were there with just the HF driver running in my early measurements. Similar anomalies appear in Brandon's 8CX study. The broader dip? Maybe....

Last edited:
Speakers at BAF 09

here is a pic of the speakers outside on the deck at BAF. They were running on a little battery chip amp for about an hour (I forget the chip amp owner's name). Then they were powered by my friend Ho Ngo's SE 845 amps.

They made sweet tones throughout the day!:D

-Kent

Attachments

• 845amp-speakers.jpg
    845amp-speakers.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 700
Reactions: 1 user
They are little Sansui tweeters, or were. I added them to the cabinets to help the University full range drivers that were originally installed in the cabinets. They all blew out on their first trip to Burning Man in 08. We cranked up the volume too much one day!

The tweet housings are made from various lamp, gas line and toilet seat parts. :D Form follows function.

Been a while since I visited this old thread! Copper speakers are still well; they will be making their 4th trip to BRC in 2 months. No problems so far.

@CZ- I don't know. A little would change, maybe; but Zilch would be the person to ask. Send him a PM! We did a little tweaking on the x-over in the copper speakers. IIRC, it was to get the levels of the 2 drivers closer.

@inductor- nope- never made covers for them! They sit in my garage most of the year. Once I get the amp built for them, I'll offer them up for sound re-enforcement for garden parties! :D

Speakers still alive

Just a post to say thank you to all for the help getting these speakers dialed in- I just wish I could say thanks again to Zilch; a most helpful person. May he be enjoying speaker building wherever he is. His thoughts and designs live on in us and our speakers.

The speakers went again to Burning Man this year, but didn't get much time out of our truck- I was too busy. The 10CX and D220Ti drivers still perform fine- never had any problems despite the dust and heat. I am retiring from that event; moving on. The speakers occaisionally come to events & parties and they did a wedding a few years ago.

So, if you ever need some sound re-enforcement speakers and you're in the SF bay area, drop me a line.

Thank you Zilch:)

Attachments

• copper-speaks-2013.jpg
    copper-speaks-2013.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 239
  • copper-speaks-2015.jpg
    copper-speaks-2015.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 243
  • copper-speaks-oct2015.jpg
    copper-speaks-oct2015.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 234
  • copper-speak-2013wedding.png
    copper-speak-2013wedding.png
    550.1 KB · Views: 242
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.