6 ohm to 8 ohm - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2008, 07:09 PM   #1
tisba is offline tisba  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default 6 ohm to 8 ohm

Hi,
is it possible to add some resistors in order to transform a 6ohm loudspeakers to a 8ohm loudspeaker, without lose audio quality?

Thank you in advance
Old 18th November 2008, 07:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 6 ohm to 8 ohm

Quote:
Originally posted by tisba
Hi,
is it possible to add some resistors in order to transform a 6ohm loudspeakers to a 8ohm loudspeaker, without lose audio quality?

Thank you in advance
it degrades ever so slightly.
in most cases, just use the 6 as 8.
Old 19th November 2008, 04:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

In fact, I'm using 6 as 8, but I'm facing some "protection" problems on my ampli.

It seems a problem related to the exit on the ampli (It appears only if I connect the front-left exit with any loudspeaker I have)

Regards
Old 19th November 2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, it's worth a try, of course. You will lose some level with 2 ohms in series and you may end up with a "fatter" sounding bass - depending on the ampli and the loudspeaker.

Be sure to use power resistors. At least 20 watts. Be carefull, they may get hot!
Old 19th November 2008, 06:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tisba
In fact, I'm using 6 as 8, but I'm facing some "protection" problems on my ampli.

It seems a problem related to the exit on the ampli (It appears only if I connect the front-left exit with any loudspeaker I have)

Regards

sounds like something else wrong.
Old 20th November 2008, 07:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your suggestions.
I'm going to check the exits of the ampli (switching the loudspeakers) and the cables.
I hope to discover the reason why the ampli enter in protection mode when I switch on it.

Regards
Old 20th November 2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Thawach is offline Thawach  Thailand
diyAudio Member

tisba it's sure the protection of your amp is wrong.
Quote:
6ohm loudspeakers to a 8ohm loudspeaker, without lose audio quality?
it's sure again that will lost audio quality. but i ever saw the xo of some brand in speaker UK use likes this but they use with the woofers. tisba i ever did with my passive sub. i feel that the dynamic would be drop.

TW
Old 1st December 2008, 08:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Dear all,

I tryed to measure the impedence of my Diamonds 8.2 loudspeakers using a multimeter and I measured 3.8 ohm on both the loudspeakers (even if they should be 6 ohm).

My question is: is it normal having 3.8 ohm if the label of the loudspeakers says 6 ohm? Is there a way to check if the loudspeakes is working correctly or if it has some problems?
In my opinion, it's very strange to have 3.8 ohm when the loudspeakers should be 6 ohm. In addition, I have other 6 ohm loudspeakers (Panasonic) and, as you can see in the attached images, I measured 6 ohm exactly (in fact, using the Panasonic loudspeakers I don't have any protection problems).

Please, have a look to the attached image. Wharfedale is on the left, Panasonic on the right.

I'm looking forward to reading your reply
Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loudspeakers2.jpg (74.5 KB, 114 views)
Old 1st December 2008, 09:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

When you measure with an ohm meter you are measuring the
DC resistance. In speaker terms this is called re. The re for a speaker is almost always a lot lower than the rated impedience for example for example using an 8 ohm JBL 2123H. This 8ohm driver will measure 4.2ohms when you use an ohm meter because this is the DC resistance. The 8ohm rating is a nominal AC impedience, the combination of this DC resistance and the inductance of the voice coil this varries a lot with the frequency.
Old 1st December 2008, 10:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your reply.
I'm very confused because:

- If I connect the 6 ohm Wharfedale loudspeakers (the 3.8 ohm one with the multimeter) to the front outputs, the amplifier go to protection mode

- If I connect the 6 ohm Panasonic loudspeakers (the 6 ohm one with the multimeter) to the front outputs, the amplifier works.

- If I connect a Wharfedale and a Panasonit to the front outputs, the amplifier works.

So, it seems a problem related to the both Wharfedale loudspeakers. But:

- If I connect the 6 ohm Wharfedale loudspeakers to the surround outputs, the amplifier works perfectly

Last, but not least, I added a 4 ohm resistor (see post #4) to the Wharfedale loudspeakers and I connected them to the front outputs: it works without protection!

In your opinion, which is the reason why the apli go to protection mode?

Hide this!Advertise here!