power as a function of frequency, and upper x-over point - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2001, 07:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

i have read that the 50% power break happens at 500 hz.

Meaning, the power required to put out a given level of whitenoise (in speakers capable of playing the 20hz - 20khz range)from 20hz to 500hz is equal to 500hz to 20khz.

Here's the deal: i'm building a 3 way system- to be split via an active crossover. Current x-over points are: 500hz and 3k to 5khz. My goal is a balance of quality of sound (freq resp., phase) and dynamics.

I'm pretty sure on the lower point (500hz), based on my drivers (see below); but i'm unsure of the upper x-over point. Anywhere from 3k-5k - it's well above the Fs of the tweeter.

I already have my amp to drive the woofers (Acurus), and the Mids (Sumo), but i do not have the amp for the highs yet.

So i'm wondering if anyone could point me to a function/equation that would allow me to calculate my power req's of my upper end amp based on the x-over point.

If you have any other input on the 3k - 5k x-over points, please chime in.

components:

X-Over: 3 way active w/ low pass, band pass, highpass x-over points. Each portion will have a level control.

LF driver: 2 x A/D/S 312rs.2 12" dual 4 ohm VC's sens: 92db; nom. power handling: 600w rms

Mid Driver: A pair of Gallo Micros, [they claim to work from 90hz and up... but i was unsatified with them as rear/surround speakers] so i'm using them as mids here. 100 watts power handling above 100hz, sens: 92db

HF Driver: Vifa D27TG-05-06. 92db sens, and 100 watts above 2.5khz

LF Amp: Acurus A200x3. 200watts into 8 ohms (315watts into 8 per Audio Mag [r.i.p.]) -- yes, that leaves one ch. to spare (hehe) maybe an active Adire tempest subwoofer?

Mid Amp: Sumo Polaris II. 100+ watts into 8 ohms

HF Amp: to be determined.

in the meantime, the A/D/S and Micros run as a passive x-over'd bi amped 2 way pair (at 500hz)
Old 3rd December 2001, 04:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default in case you were wondering...

plenty of views, but no responses to this one!

i got the answer i was looking for. go here if you're interested too: http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm#basics

Hide this!Advertise here!