dynaudio 330 ,scan8545

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have both drivers. I have not seen one speaker that uses these drivers at the same time.

I would not use them together because the 8545 is only a good driver but the 330D is a top driver. It would be a waste of the 330D.

I would buy a SS tweeter to mate with the 8545 then use revelators to mate the 330D.

Regards,
Bill

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Bill,

What are your thoughts about Dynaudio midwoofers?

I have some friends with the 330D- the size of the magnet and faceplate and overall build quality is indeed impressive but I'm not so sure about the sound. I've also never seen independant measurements on this tweeter, so it's hard to determine what exactly is contributing to it's special effects.

meridian123,

I have also not seen any designs featuring the ScanSpeak midwoofers with Dynaudio tweeters, but this is not saying that it cannot be done well. Mating driver A to B is all about the crossover. If you get this right it will sound spot on, get it wrong and you will wonder what the fuss is about.

regards,
Thanh.

>>> the 330D- the size of the magnet and faceplate and overall build quality is indeed impressive but I'm not so sure about the sound.

I owned the D260 and never was able to enjoy it. Played with the crossover on and off for two years and finally sold them. I probably do not have the skills to build a proper crossover for them. Let someone else futz around with them. I went for less expensive tweeters and have been happier listening to music.

Godzilla

meridian,
a friend of mine have similar design but with d28-2 instead esotar.
He do not have measurements instrumentes, he believe on his ear only.
If you want fun try the next instructions:
alligned vertically the coils of two driver with offset negative 2 cm.
Ie the tweeter is more FAR to you than the woofer AC.
apply felt on the step you are creating with this alignement.

Woofer : 1,2 mH
Tweeter : 10 microF + Lpad 3.3 ohm in series and 10 ohm in parallel
Fine tuning by ear of course, not scentific approch, but it works surprising well :D
Both tw and woofer positive polarity.
If tweeter is too much, add little resistance.
If tweeter is distorting, reduce the caps to 8 mF or less.
Play with other inductors on the woofer, to say 1-1,4 mH and listen
Have fun!

P.S. : do not play extremely loud with 10 microF on the T330!! :whazzat:

I have some friends with the 330D- the size of the magnet and faceplate and overall build quality is indeed impressive but I'm not so sure about the sound. I've also never seen independant measurements on this tweeter, so it's hard to determine what exactly is contributing to it's special effects.

The only thing I don't like the T330D is the size of the faceplate! It is too large so polar response may suffer. You would like to bring the tweeter and the woofer closer with a small faceplate. You have to cross it low, I would say no higher than 2kHz, and I am not even very comfortable with 2kHz. Fortunately, the T330D has no issue of crossing at 2kHz. It is a compromise.

There is no distortion figures published but the manufacturer datasheet contains a waterfall plat which looks extremely clean. It is as good as it can get. With 1000w instant power handling and 93dB sensitivity it is a great tweeter.

The response curve indicates that it would have a natural BBC dip which may give it audiophile sound.

I have a friend that tunes by ear too and low and behold he uses 10mf caps on his esotars too.

I use 6.8mf on my t330d's as 10mf had too much overlap with the midranges for my liking.

As for powerhandling, the friend that uses 10mf caps measured a peak db of 133db at listening position, he usually plays his music loud with 120db peaks and his esotars still sound like new after 5+ years.

Sounds almost like a merlin vsm setup with the t330d and SS woofer.

Have one xo drawing laying around...

Attachments

• merlinvsm2.jpg
    merlinvsm2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 365
A crossover schematic can help to investigate how other people use the tweeter, such as whether a notch filter is used, etc. The crossover can not be directly used due to different boxes, baffles and other parameters. You would need to design your own crossover based on your specific requirements.

I am not sure either.
Mine was from a vsm-m version. I don't know which model the other XO is from.
I really don't remember where I got the schematics from either.

If you decide to copy Merlins cabinets, why don't you try both of the XO's? :D

It is not that expensive to try out...

Sincerely

discl said:
I have a friend that tunes by ear too and low and behold he uses 10mf caps on his esotars too.

I use 6.8mf on my t330d's as 10mf had too much overlap with the midranges for my liking.

As for powerhandling, the friend that uses 10mf caps measured a peak db of 133db at listening position, he usually plays his music loud with 120db peaks and his esotars still sound like new after 5+ years.

Hi,
you are right
Indeed mine was only super-safety condition :D
Indeed the esotar is very robust tweeter!!:eek:
Cheers,
Paolo

P.S.: I have listened many years ago the Merlin VSM but I was not well impressed :(

The "ear tuned " yunk speaker of my friend sounds much better and better of course of the SF Electa amator 2 Too ! :clown:

Cheers,
Paolo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.