Is silver wire any good? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2003, 02:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is silver wire any good?

Some people say it's good and others say it gives a harsh sound to the speakers, opinions please. Also what type of silver is best .999 or .925, does the hardness make a differance?
Old 3rd April 2003, 02:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Is silver wire any good?

Quote:
Originally posted by KenP
Some people say it's good and others say it gives a harsh sound to the speakers, opinions please.
It's my opinion that some people say it's good and others say it's harsh.

Not quite sure what you're looking for here. Seems you've already got a pretty good fix on the opinions out there. It's just as you say. Some prefer it and some don't. Is there a third option you're looking for?

Quote:
Also what type of silver is best .999 or .925, does the hardness make a differance?
Do you mean .999 fine or 99.999 percent?

The lower the purity, the more resistive it will be for a given gauge. So technically the higher purity would be the "better" but what works best for you, i.e. what you ultimately may prefer is something only you can answer.

se
Old 3rd April 2003, 03:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Not Cheap, But Good.

Hi KenP,
Frank is probably the expert here.
My experience is that as pure as you can get silver is good, really good.
In my experience silver plated copper can sound harsh and glary.

Beware of 925 silver as it is by definition 7.25% impurities, and does not sound the same as pure silver.
Minor differences in conductivity are not an issue - different alloys just sound different.
Also use Lead free solder when making connections for I find silver and lead do not go well together.

Eric.

PS - Take note of conductor directions when using any wire - ie make both channels identical.
Old 3rd April 2003, 03:29 AM   #4
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

I have some pure silver wire and solder I got off of Ebay. It was even directional. I set up an input with it in my BOSOZ. I also set up inputs with OFC and regular hookup wire. It allows me to AB the wire. The difference between the regular wire and the OFC is like everything clearing up a bit. When I switch to the silver the top end gets really smooth and clear. It's just nice, but you can hear the difference.
Old 3rd April 2003, 03:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Directional ????
Old 3rd April 2003, 03:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwagter
Directional ????
Don't ask.

se
Old 3rd April 2003, 03:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwagter
Directional ????
When it came the coil had tape on it with the direction of signal flow marked on the tape. The surface was completely polished with no burrs or scratches either. I installed it like it was supposed to go so I couldn't tell you about it, but why take chances. The guy still sells it on Ebay. You can get it for tonearms as well.
Old 3rd April 2003, 04:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Acceptance Of Possibilities....

PassFan,
Wire direction has been covered previously here on the forum.

Suffice to say just be comfortable that if you are going to make something truly stereo, things like wire directions need to be matched too, elsewise you are adding a variable.

If you accept that wire can be directional, take a fine listen and you will likely pick it up.
Arrows on the sheath or tape around the reel are a reference only - the marked direction may or may not be optimal in your system.
If you think about it deeply enough you can make interconnects that are truly non-directional - this has been covered previously too (Hint - star quad configuration)

Eric.
Old 3rd April 2003, 04:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Acceptance Of Possibilities....

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfeedback
PassFan,
Wire direction has been covered previously here on the forum.

Suffice to say just be comfortable that if you are going to make something truly stereo, things like wire directions need to be matched too, elsewise you are adding a variable.

If you accept that wire can be directional, take a fine listen and you will likely pick it up.
Arrows on the sheath or tape around the reel are a reference only - the marked direction may or may not be optimal in your system.
If you think about it deeply enough you can make interconnects that are truly non-directional - this has been covered previously too (Hint - star quad configuration)

Eric.
I never questioned the validity of directionality, that was someone else. I simply followed the vendors recomendation. I can hear a difference in the wire as compared to OFC or regular wire. I appreciate the info.

Old 3rd April 2003, 04:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

My apaologies Passfan I know I shouldn't have made the dierctional???? comment but the temptation was to great

Ralph

Hide this!Advertise here!