Is silver wire any good? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2003, 02:28 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I put on my special voodoo costum just to write in this thread .

How can it be possible that an atom with electrons that are being at every place at every moment in time is going to have directional preferences -> perhaps some electrons have a preference going backward (perhaps the free one in the n-edge ?)

Perhaps it's like milk that there as a left and right stirring (eg better) atom/molecule

Ralph
Old 3rd April 2003, 02:31 PM   #32
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buglehead
WELL said! I must warn you , however, that you should soon expect someone to berate your sense of hearing and then express their sorrow for your plight. Personally, within the quagmire of disparate materials, arranged non-directional as they are, when someone says they can readily hear a difference in the directionality of a few inches of silver wire, I smell something fishy. I am now waiting for an expression of sorrow and pity over my impared sense of smell!
Not at all. It is a known fact that we all hear differently. We all suffer different levels of frequency dependant loss over our life span, so why shouldn't our hearing be different. I never see this discussed when double blind testing is mentioned. I can't hear above 15.5k. I realize those higher freq. affect the ones I can hear but not like they would if I could hear them. So maybe you really can hear something I can't or vica-versa

Old 3rd April 2003, 03:59 PM   #33
ICENINE is offline ICENINE  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy

As per Pauli, no two electrons in a solid of the same spin can share the same energy level. Typical thermal and electrical processes in conductors don't add but a tiny fraction of an electron volt (eV) and since the Fermi level in typical conductors is quite high, only those electrons within a tiny fraction of an eV of the Fermi level can participate in those processes.

There aren't enough electrons participating in thermal conduction in the QM model to account for the observed thermal effects in conductors. It seems that lattice vibrations are largely responsible for thermal conductivity in metals rather than electrons.

se
Wow that is all very interesting. Could you explain more(or point me to a web resource) how it is then that conductors conduct electricity if excited electrons don't contribute significantly? I hadn't thought of the exclusion principle....
Old 3rd April 2003, 04:49 PM   #34
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Me thinks that a new section for metaphysics is in place......

Were did the original Ghostbusters go...??
Old 3rd April 2003, 05:02 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UrSv
I usually post:

http://www.jenving.se/direct.htm

They seem to be able to measure it easily. I have absolutely no problem accepting that a cable can be directional but rather expect it to be in a purely technical sense. Again, if you can hear the difference is another issue.
They're just citing a "test" that Ben Duncan did for Hi-Fi News a while back. The test results are ambiguous as the difference due to flipping the cable around could be explained by nothing more exotic than a difference in contact resistance.

The problem with people like Duncan and others is that they're more interested in proving some pet theory than actually getting at the truth. So if they happen to come up with something which might support their pet theory, they're very lax at considering alternate explanations for the results of their tests.

Duncan was taken to task on this account for another "test" of his in which he seemed to have measured a change in phase with a change in current. It was shown that this result could also have been achieved by not accounting for the change in the load resistance he was using.

Duncan's work has just been too sloppy to take at anything more than face value.

se
Old 3rd April 2003, 05:10 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ICENINE
Wow that is all very interesting. Could you explain more(or point me to a web resource) how it is then that conductors conduct electricity if excited electrons don't contribute significantly? I hadn't thought of the exclusion principle....
Well excited electrons contribute to all current flow. Just that there aren't as many participating as the Drude model assumes. The only thing this really effects is drift velocity. Instead of having a lot of electrons with slow drift velocity, you have fewer electrons with a higher drift velocity.

It all comes out the same in the end.

se
Old 3rd April 2003, 05:53 PM   #37
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy

They're just citing a "test" that Ben Duncan did for Hi-Fi News a while back. The test results are ambiguous as the difference due to flipping the cable around could be explained by nothing more exotic than a difference in contact resistance.

The problem with people like Duncan and others is that they're more interested in proving some pet theory than actually getting at the truth. So if they happen to come up with something which might support their pet theory, they're very lax at considering alternate explanations for the results of their tests.

Duncan was taken to task on this account for another "test" of his in which he seemed to have measured a change in phase with a change in current. It was shown that this result could also have been achieved by not accounting for the change in the load resistance he was using.

Duncan's work has just been too sloppy to take at anything more than face value.

se
It may very well be a load of whatsit but it is the only place I know of that claim to be able to measure it rather than just hear it. I did not claim that it was 100 % accurate.

Hide this!Advertise here!