Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2003, 03:51 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Acceptance Of Possibilities....

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfeedback
If you accept that wire can be directional, take a fine listen and you will likely pick it up.
Just as if you accept that putting photographs of yourself in the freezer will make your system sound better, you will likely pick it up as well.

se
Old 3rd April 2003, 04:00 AM   #12
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Here is my challenge to all people who claim a wire can be directional. I'll take your wire, remove all markings and give it back to you. I make an identifying mark in one end of the cable. You must, through listening, measuring, metallurgy, x-ray crystallography, or by any means, correctly identify the direction of the cable more than 50% of the time.

So far I've pulled this stunt on two of my friends, and neither of them could do it. And I'm not the sort of person who thinks cables make no difference: both of these guys can reliably differentiate between reputable speaker cable and lamp cord.
Old 3rd April 2003, 04:16 AM   #13
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

jwb, I spent a few years doing some contract work at a wire and cable company, one that manufactures for several of the hyper-expensive brands. During a lunch break, their production manager was telling me about a Big Cable Man (anyone would recognize the name) who would have his cable marked with a direction. And that direction would change from lot to lot. The way it was determined, the manager told me, was that the Big Man Himself, who had an office nearby, would come down with a gadget that would measure that batch of wire's "direction." He'd cut off a piece, stick the gadgets probes on each end, then declare that one direction was the way he wanted his arrows oriented.

I asked the manager if he knew what the gadget was or what the guy was measuring. Hadn't a clue, the Big Man was very secretive about his gadget. But he was so confident, he had the manager convinced that there was something the Big Man was measuring. I asked the manager, did you ever keep some retains of the wire, mark them randomly, and ask the Big Man for the orientation, and see if it was still the same as before? The manager looked thunderstruck and replied that, no, he never thought of that. But he did have retains...

So the next time the Big Man came in with his meter, the manager asked him to double-check the orientation of the retains. You can guess what happened...
Old 3rd April 2003, 05:24 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwagter
Directional ????

Yep!
It also helps if you put your amplifier on a higher level as your speakers. It's then easier for the electrons to "fall" towards your speakers.
Old 3rd April 2003, 05:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Why not installing speakers in a ceiling? The sound would "fall" on you.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd April 2003, 05:33 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

It's amazing, that after all these years, people still come up with great new ideas!
The world of audio is sooo exciting!!
Old 3rd April 2003, 05:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The ideas might be great, but not all of them are working as supposed to.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd April 2003, 05:50 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

And don't forget the tunnels those mean electrons build for themselves inside of the cables, therefore the burning in period is very essential...
Old 3rd April 2003, 06:17 AM   #19
ICENINE is offline ICENINE  United States
diyAudio Member

What? Dude, electrons don't *make* tunnels in metal. The paths that electrons in a conductor move through are already present. In a conductor, there are empty molecular orbital levels that are very close in energy level to the lower full ones. When a potential difference is applied across a metal, electrons in lower orbitals are excited into the conduction bands where they are free to move. This also explains why metals are such good conductors of heat. When electrons at one end of a strip of metal are heated, the sea of electrons can easily transmit the thermal energy to the other end.

No burning in period is required. A piece of silver is a piece of silver. Running current won't change it in any way unless you plan to REALLY burn it in, and melt it or or cause an oxide layer to form on the outside, neither of which is a good thing.
Old 3rd April 2003, 06:29 AM   #20
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Sigh....

Quote:

Beware of 925 silver as it is by definition 7.25% impurities, and does not sound the same as pure silver.
[/B]
The "impurites" in 925 silver is mainly the 7.75 pct copper in the alloy to make the silver harder and more durable for use in a.o. jewelry.....

Hide this!Advertise here!