Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2008, 09:10 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thats why I am trying to think of a casting method.
I have to tell everyone that the mix of shredded waste paper PVA and plaster has some great properties, although it is quite difficult to sand but I have not yet tested for fragility.

A friend uses a similar mix inside wooden boxes for damping resonances so I know the medium itself works well
Old 11th November 2008, 09:53 PM   #12
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't tried using your particular mix to make a speaker.
I have worked extensively with those and other similar materials used in the stage prop and visual arts, to make free form structures.
Very low tech DIY stuff.
The last spherical speaker I made was cast from a 8" sphere, using reinforced Tarlatan for the basic sphere. This removed from the form was reinforced with plaster bandage, that was covered with fiber reinforced polyester auto body filler.
The resulting multi layered shell is very inert.
I would agree: These sort of materials/methods are cheap, and labor intensive, but allows for non-rectilinear structures.
Old 11th November 2008, 10:53 PM   #13
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Casting is great, but it only as good as your mold. Creating the mold is the pain. Unless you use something preexisting. A while back, I used a large 'yoga' ball as a mold, and made 2' semispheres with plaster and cotton rag. Solid, heavy, and fragile. They were supposed to diffuse sound down to 500hz, but they didn't really work in practice, I think.
Old 11th November 2008, 11:39 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have found a local suplier of the styrofoam forms used by florists, MIY artcrafts, in Glenhuntly Melbourne, lots of scope there, balls, eggs and cones, so shapes are appearing in my head.
Balls are relatively cheap too
Casting may be out for the time being but as soon as current projects are finished I may start some free-form shapes.

I can see big advantages to using foam cores, easy to put mounting points and terminals in place first etc
Old 12th November 2008, 12:07 AM   #15
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

A Styrofoam ball is what I used. I have seen others use vinyl balls and glass balls, and modeling clay.
Old 12th November 2008, 09:51 AM   #16
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Arts and craft shops have a lot of interesting stuff. My partner makes handmade greeting cards so we are always browsing through them..RIOT have a seconds and old stock outlet in Keys Rd., Moorabbin if you're down this end of Melbourne sometime Moondog.
jamikl
Old 12th November 2008, 10:02 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanx.
Old 30th October 2009, 04:12 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I have all this waste paper around the house that arrived in the post, as well as a mess of old bills that need to be retired in some way. It would be no less than poetic justice to cut them up in strips and soak them in diluted PVA glue, in order to lay them up into some sort of righteous free-form speaker cabinet. more details when I think of what to do. The paper mache` horn I saw in this context looked righteous, but may be too ambitious for the likes of me.
Old 30th October 2009, 04:50 AM   #19
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Paper maché horns are not hard to do, just time consuming. Very.
Great sound - cause there's no sound.
Old 30th October 2009, 07:10 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi Moondog!

I would start with a blown up baloon. Layer it with paper and glue to set the shape. Paper and cardboard are great for damping. Once set you just put a pin through the paper to burst the ballon. You need good quality ballons.

Next wrap it in fine wire mesh and add a layer of acoustic concrete. see This is a guide to using acoustic concrete. Then add a layer of body filler. Cut a hole for the driver and well you get the idea.

Could be a fun way to soak up some time and paper.

Terry

Hide this!Advertise here!