Bi Wiring and AWG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably.
Particularly with the treble only driver, which seems to benefit from fairly small cables or fewer strands.
The bass unit is often less efficient and draws more current. It's bass performance is also dominated by the speaker Q and this is affected by the resistance of the cables more than the output impedance of the majority of SS amps.
The bass may perform better with slightly smaller cables or similar or maybe even bigger.

Finally, I always recommend that the cables be kept as short as possible, even mounting the amplifier at high level right next to the speaker terminals.

Lewis Moon said:
When you bi wire a speaker, can you reduce the AWG a bit because you are running one signal on two sets of wires?

Inquiring minds and all......

No. If you raise the two guages, each driver will still see the higher guage.

If you keep the guage the same, the dissipative losses in the wires will also be exactly the same on average. But the instantaneous loss of biwiring will not have the product dissipation...

Cheers, John

Cal Weldon said:
Inquiring minds want to know what you feel the benefit of bi-wiring is. My testing was inconclusive at best.

Actually....not much. I really can't get my head around the fact that both sets of wires come from the exact same amp outlet. I would default to zero sum gain if asked.

The real issue is: (he stares at the ground in embarassment) I got a smoking deal on a big hank of OFC wire that is laid up with four conductors but is one gauge down from what I usually use....and my Wharfedales are bi wired.
:rolleyes:

Lewis Moon said:

Um........anti-parallel? (I feel like such a dork)

No problems..

Cheers, John

Attachments

• antiparallel.jpg
    antiparallel.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 208
Andre Visser said:
Depending on the gauge you normally use, the smaller dia bi-wire cable can improve SQ.

I hope by improved SQ you mean change the frequency response which may or may not sound better to your ears. In crossover simulation you can insert a resistor amp-side to simulate a less-than-adequate (ie small guage) hookup wire.

Generally though, bi-wiring is a waste of time and money. Should be called "buy-wiring" because the only real noticeable outcome of this is that you will buy more wire. But it seems you already know this, Lewis, you just want to make some use of your sweet deal 4-conductor cable.

Andre Visser said:
If the crossover is designed for bi-wiring the same current does not flow through both cables. The low freq will run through one cable and high freq through the other.

At mid crossover, they share. Antiparallel would still be lower inductance at that point. Don't know if it makes an audible diff, however..just inductance is diff.

Cheers, John

Andre Visser said:
If the crossover is designed for bi-wiring the same current does not flow through both cables. The low freq will run through one cable and high freq through the other.

Yeah?

So if I measure the frequencies at the upper terminals, I will detect only higher frequencies, and if I measure the lower terminals, I will detect only lower frequencies?

Is that it?

Andre Visser said:

Depending on the gauge you normally use, the smaller dia bi-wire cable can improve SQ.

Exactly what he wrote.

The only common point becomes the amp terminals which helps with reactive nature of drivers and their interactions. The added resistance of the cable runs and the "drain" point (think star grounding) of the amplifier helps to stop the influence of one driver affecting the other.

jneutron's picture is best, but even bi-wired side - by - side usage is better than connected in parallel.

Edit: Even better, get some Kimber Kable Bi-Focal.

I liked KK 4TC on the top and 8TC on the bottom until I heard the bi-focal. Now I am just amazed (and depressed because of price) of the difference. *I can't afford new, have not found second hand yet*

I also like the Canare "4S" (I think) and just twisted pairs of Apex.jr Silver plated xxxx (can't say the word or DuPont will sue us all!!) insulated wire.

Amp is the JRDG Model 2, and Bryston 3B.
Speakers are B&W 805 bi-wired.

DcibeL said:

I hope by improved SQ you mean change the frequency response which may or may not sound better to your ears. In crossover simulation you can insert a resistor amp-side to simulate a less-than-adequate (ie small guage) hookup wire.

Generally though, bi-wiring is a waste of time and money. Should be called "buy-wiring" because the only real noticeable outcome of this is that you will buy more wire. But it seems you already know this, Lewis, you just want to make some use of your sweet deal 4-conductor cable.

There are more factors that influence SQ than freq response, if cable make a noticable difference in FR there must be something wrong. Our ears are not very sensitive to amplitude changes anyway. Cables have an influence on low level detail, ambience and focus of soundstage.

Bi-wire or not can be a very debatable point, my view is that one 'good' cable will always sound better than two 'bad' cables. When it comes to using one or two 'good' cables, things can get more complicated. On my system I prefer bi-wiring.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.