Vifa D25AG vs XT25TG30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe the Vifa D25ag is one of the best tweeters regardless of price, if you use it properly and carefully it will reward you with amazing transparency, openess and detail, Ive been using them from about 1989 to the present and would like to try something better for less than $60 a peice.
I am thinking about the Vifa XT25 and would like to hear subjective comparison from other who have heard the two to help me make a purchasing decision, suggestion for other brand are also welcome.

The tweeter will be used in a new 3 way system the midbass has been purchased already its a Seas H702 P14RCY 5" will use an 8" for bass havent decided which one it will be but I always choose sound quality over output, any suggestion for bass driver will also be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advanced.

Thanks sreten been to aImost all of those links, think I will go with the XT25 just out of curiosity, but I wanted a subjective comparison of the 2 tweeters, Zaph had said on his site that there was nothing special about the D25AG but I tend to disagree.
What I've learn about a lot of speakers is that when it comes to distortion they don't always sound like you expect them to eg. the SBacoustic tweeter sound a lot better than I thought from just looking at the specs also the Accuton. that is why I wanted subjective input instead of measurements.
regards

jomatecc said:
Thanks sreten been to aImost all of those links, think I will go with the XT25 just out of curiosity, but I wanted a subjective comparison of the 2 tweeters, Zaph had said on his site that there was nothing special about the D25AG but I tend to disagree.
that is why I wanted subjective input instead of measurements.
regards
Well, if subjective is what you want ;)

I recently finished a design using the D25AG paired up with the ScanSpeak 8545K.
http://undefinition.googlepages.com/diy-vic-20
When used properly, I really enjoy that tweeter. It has a smooth--almost mellow--sound as long as you don't cross it too low.

I also did a design over the summer that used the XT25 in a 3-way OB speaker.
http://undefinition.googlepages.com/diy-sunflowers
Previously, I had done the Sunflowers with the Dayton RS28, and I have to say the XT25 took the design to a whole new level. I don't know if it's the lack of ferrofluid or the odd diaphragm shape, but there is some magic hiding in that tweeter! It has an amazingly flat FR, and is especially good with transients.
However, it does take a bit of extra care in the crossover, due to the lack of ferrofluid. If you cross it below 3K, you'll probably want to use a conjugate LCR shunt filter to flatten the giant impedance bump.

Thanks Paul real interesting projects, read everyone of them, found exactly what I was looking for, your reply and website data gave me enough information to make a final decision. I just hope the XT25 goes well with the the seas midbass.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks for the reply I thought about the seas 27TBFC/G and will consider using it in a future project as I have purchased the XT25 already. The 27TBFC/G strength lies mainly in its ability to cross at lower frequency, its a real good tweeter in all other respect as well.
regards

XT's are more refined

I am thinking about the Vifa XT25 and would like to hear subjective comparison from other who have heard the two

I have two pairs of MTM speakers(3rd order XO) with identical Vifa 5.25" woofers, but one pair uses D25AG, and the other XT25's

While the D25's initially sound more HIFI and "detailed", once you listen for any length of time you realize that the XT25's are not rooled off, just more delicate and have better micro-detail/dynamics; plus are smoother (less "in your face").

Just my 2 cents.

cotdt said:
Try the new Peerless HDS Tweeter instead. It sounds better than the Vifa XT25, has better off-axis dispersion, and can cross lower. There is a lot of detail and "air".

Hi Cotdt thanks for the suggestion got the XT already, I had the HDS in mind as well but it was just slightly out of my budget.
Im building a two way soon and would like the best tweeter for the price and the HDS seems to be a good contender along with the Seas 27TBFC/G.
regards

Thanks for your input chasmo, sounds just perfect.:)

Try eBay

...Vifa D25AG tweeters ...I have a used pair.

They are still in demand for use with Tube amps, sincve they can be bright with most(cheap)solid state equipment.

If I were you I'd clean them up and offer them on eBay. Since they cost about US$35 here when new, you may be able to get at least half of that from someone who knows about them.
-Just my"2 cents"(pence).

ok thanks people.

I will probably put them up on ebay. Can I ask, how do I check them?

Even though I have not touched them since before how do I avoid a situation where they are sold on ebay then the buyer may say that they are faulty?

will they sell even if USED? I want make it clear they are used but not faulty to my knowledge.

Hello Professor Smith, The quick check to do is put a ohmmeter across the terminals to check for continuity. They should read around 0.5 to 2 ohms below what the impedance is listed as. This is a very approximate set of numbers, and is based upon the fact that you are taking a measurement of the DC resistance of the voicecoil, which is only one part of the entire impedance of the driver. To actually do a full test, you would have to either sweep them with a signal generator (making sure not to apply too much power, or go below the operating frequency range of the tweeter, this may damage them), or you would need to hook them up to an amp, through an appropriate crossover, and listen to them.

Cheers,

Dave Gerecke

hi

I have emailed you since you expressed an interest in them.

I understand that there are two different models. I do not know if this relates to the fact that the current model is made in china whereas the previous ones were made in denmark?

The exact part number stated on mine is D25AG 05 06 and are made in denmark.

The ones listed on madisound are D25 AG 35 06.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.