Vifa D25AG vs XT25TG30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2008, 04:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to jomatecc Send a message via Yahoo to jomatecc
Default Vifa D25AG vs XT25TG30

I believe the Vifa D25ag is one of the best tweeters regardless of price, if you use it properly and carefully it will reward you with amazing transparency, openess and detail, Ive been using them from about 1989 to the present and would like to try something better for less than $60 a peice.
I am thinking about the Vifa XT25 and would like to hear subjective comparison from other who have heard the two to help me make a purchasing decision, suggestion for other brand are also welcome.

The tweeter will be used in a new 3 way system the midbass has been purchased already its a Seas H702 P14RCY 5" will use an 8" for bass havent decided which one it will be but I always choose sound quality over output, any suggestion for bass driver will also be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advanced.
Old 6th November 2008, 12:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks sreten been to aImost all of those links, think I will go with the XT25 just out of curiosity, but I wanted a subjective comparison of the 2 tweeters, Zaph had said on his site that there was nothing special about the D25AG but I tend to disagree.
What I've learn about a lot of speakers is that when it comes to distortion they don't always sound like you expect them to eg. the SBacoustic tweeter sound a lot better than I thought from just looking at the specs also the Accuton. that is why I wanted subjective input instead of measurements.
regards
Old 6th November 2008, 01:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jomatecc
Thanks sreten been to aImost all of those links, think I will go with the XT25 just out of curiosity, but I wanted a subjective comparison of the 2 tweeters, Zaph had said on his site that there was nothing special about the D25AG but I tend to disagree.
that is why I wanted subjective input instead of measurements.
regards
Well, if subjective is what you want

I recently finished a design using the D25AG paired up with the ScanSpeak 8545K.
http://undefinition.googlepages.com/diy-vic-20
When used properly, I really enjoy that tweeter. It has a smooth--almost mellow--sound as long as you don't cross it too low.

I also did a design over the summer that used the XT25 in a 3-way OB speaker.
http://undefinition.googlepages.com/diy-sunflowers
Previously, I had done the Sunflowers with the Dayton RS28, and I have to say the XT25 took the design to a whole new level. I don't know if it's the lack of ferrofluid or the odd diaphragm shape, but there is some magic hiding in that tweeter! It has an amazingly flat FR, and is especially good with transients.
However, it does take a bit of extra care in the crossover, due to the lack of ferrofluid. If you cross it below 3K, you'll probably want to use a conjugate LCR shunt filter to flatten the giant impedance bump.
Old 6th November 2008, 06:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Paul real interesting projects, read everyone of them, found exactly what I was looking for, your reply and website data gave me enough information to make a final decision. I just hope the XT25 goes well with the the seas midbass.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Old 6th November 2008, 01:01 PM   #6
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Why not try a Seas 27TDFC, Seas 27TBFC/G or a Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT ?

Might complement your Seas midbass nicely !
Old 7th November 2008, 01:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply I thought about the seas 27TBFC/G and will consider using it in a future project as I have purchased the XT25 already. The 27TBFC/G strength lies mainly in its ability to cross at lower frequency, its a real good tweeter in all other respect as well.
regards
Old 7th November 2008, 02:36 AM   #8
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Try the new Peerless HDS Tweeter instead. It sounds better than the Vifa XT25, has better off-axis dispersion, and can cross lower. There is a lot of detail and "air".
Old 8th November 2008, 01:40 PM   #9
chasmo is offline chasmo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default XT's are more refined

Quote:
I am thinking about the Vifa XT25 and would like to hear subjective comparison from other who have heard the two
I have two pairs of MTM speakers(3rd order XO) with identical Vifa 5.25" woofers, but one pair uses D25AG, and the other XT25's

While the D25's initially sound more HIFI and "detailed", once you listen for any length of time you realize that the XT25's are not rooled off, just more delicate and have better micro-detail/dynamics; plus are smoother (less "in your face").

Just my 2 cents.
Old 9th November 2008, 02:30 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cotdt
Try the new Peerless HDS Tweeter instead. It sounds better than the Vifa XT25, has better off-axis dispersion, and can cross lower. There is a lot of detail and "air".

Hi Cotdt thanks for the suggestion got the XT already, I had the HDS in mind as well but it was just slightly out of my budget.
Im building a two way soon and would like the best tweeter for the price and the HDS seems to be a good contender along with the Seas 27TBFC/G.
regards

Thanks for your input chasmo, sounds just perfect.

Hide this!Advertise here!