Why is my woofer rattling? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2008, 12:20 AM   #11
psyphre is offline psyphre  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, Ive got something strange to tell you guys.
I took it out of the box and left it on my desk during the day. Since ive been at my desk most of the day on the computer from time to time i would push the cone down. I dont know why... maybe I kept hoping the next time i pushed it would no longer scrape. What mister twister says makes sense, but i laid it flat on the desk to help reduce the likelyhood of me pushing at an angle.

Anyway about an hour ago for some reason i just decided to keep pushing it in and out in and out in and out for 10 minutes. Guess what? It dissapeared! It suddenly went silent.
So i hooked it back up and voila! It works!

Now im trying not to get over excited, sometimes im sure i hear 1/2 a second of rattle occasionally. Although I believe this is me being paranoid rather than the sound actually being there. I will keep listening to it for a few days to see if it returns.

What do you think the cause was then? I doubt my persistent pushing re-aligned it.
Old 5th November 2008, 12:47 AM   #12
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Poor packaging. I had that happen once. I was ready to post the story but decided to delete it this morning because I didn't want to give you false hope. Sometimes the cone is being pushed enough to throw off the coil alignment but will settle down if you leave it for a while.

I had taken mine to CSS here in Canada asking for an explanation and by the time I drove out there, the cone had realigned and I've not had any troubles since. Now I'm kinda sorry I didn't give you that ray of hope or you might have sent it back only to have them say it's OK.
Old 5th November 2008, 01:18 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thats an interesting explanation Cal. I've had these out of the packaging for 2 weeks, but only just managed to connect it up yesterday. How long did yours take to settle down?
Old 5th November 2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

It only took about 1 day. The previous day it was scraping and by the time I made it up to CSS, no scraping. I felt a little embarrassed but hey what can you do? A half hour drive is better than a warranty claim.
Old 5th November 2008, 03:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeakerScott Send a message via MSN to SpeakerScott Send a message via Yahoo to SpeakerScott
Quote:
Originally posted by psyphre

What do you think the cause was then? I doubt my persistent pushing re-aligned it.

I doubt it. I think the far more likely answer is that a piece of debris, sawdust, packing material, dirt, wire...something got into the driver around the phase plug or below the spider which is vented on that woofer. Exercising it with the woofer facing up allowed the debris to fall to the bottom of the gap...where, unless it is shook back into the gap it will stay.

Scott
Old 5th November 2008, 05:00 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

That makes sense. Im glad its fine now, saves me the hassle of returning!
But now im always worried it may get shook back everytime I use my speakers

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 5th November 2008, 05:05 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeakerScott Send a message via MSN to SpeakerScott Send a message via Yahoo to SpeakerScott
Quote:
Originally posted by psyphre

Thanks everyone for the help.

Do you have a compressor? If you do, I would suggest putting low pressure forced air into the gap, you *might* be able to blow it out. It might be worth a try... make sure you have an oil and water filter inline to reduce the risk of contaminating the voice coil assembly with sticky stuff...

Scott
Old 7th August 2013, 02:46 PM   #18
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a rattly woofer too - except its both speakers - left and right.
Worse yet, they started rattling after I ran em on my onkyo TX SR 606 that I was doing light cleaning to after just getting it.

They didn't rattle before, I ran the speakers on my TAS5630 based kit amp for days.

They rattle afterwards regardless of the amp they are run on.

Can a receiver damage a speaker permanently ... yes it can, via a bunch of DC, but that I thought will just kill it ...

Cool.
Srinath.
Old 7th August 2013, 08:43 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyphre View Post
If what was scraping was a piece of dripping glue, it probably has been ground to fine dust and won't be a problem in the future.
Old 7th August 2013, 08:54 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
If what was scraping was a piece of dripping glue, it probably has been ground to fine dust and won't be a problem in the future.
That's when you lose all faith in quality control

Hide this!Advertise here!