Active JX92s monitors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wanted you all to know that I'm one day away from finishing a set of active monitors using a Jordan JX92s. The amps are Marchand PM221 modules mounted on a stainless steel panel on the back. I built 8 litre boxes per the Jordan page with an additional 15cm on the back to house the amps with transformers. When they are done I will try to post some pix and let everyone know how they sound. Soon I will have my own setup finished which is based on the JX6R with an 8" seas aluminum woofer in a compound transmission line. They are currently crossed over at 250hz with a second order passive but will soon be active with a Curcio st70 on treble and a home grown transistor amp on bass duty. The crossover is a pioneer sf700 so I can play around with slopes. With the passive setup I had to pad down the Jordan seeing that the sub is not very efficient. This caused it to sound a little dead. I'm hoping the active setup will bring them back al of their livliness.

One finished

I completed one of the speakers last night and took it to my freinds studio to have a listen. The difference between the active vs passive is increadible. The JX92s always amazed me for its midrange clarity and bass extension for such a small driver. With the Marchand pm221 they are more dynamic, even clearer in the mids and the bass has become more present and tighter. The marchand module is super quiet and after 2 hours the heat sink was still cool to the touch.Hopefully I´ll have time on my lunch break to assemble the other and take some pictures.

pictures1

back

Attachments

• 06112008615_1.jpg
    06112008615_1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 419
JX92s clarification

I just wanted to add my two cents to the topic of what fullrange is the best. I agree that Fostex, Lowther and whatever else you can imagine sound good (and great) and I have heard the majority of them in good situations with a good setup (ie. s.e. amps etc). But being a professional violist for the last 20 years, I can hear colourations very clearly and all, and I mean all, of the fullranges that are so well coveted in this forum are very musical but colour the sound to such an extent that acoustic instruments take on a character that is clearly not of their own. The Jordan driver on the other hand is honest to the point of being offensive. This is not attractive to the average listener due to the fact that listeing fatigue sets is after an hour or two, but when listening to the right recording with a good transitor amp (not vacuum tubes as much as I love them) the coherence, clarity and tonal accuracy that these drivers can produce is simply astounding.The studio that these active monitors was made for only records baroque ensembles, chamber music and solo acoustic instruments. While listening to the raw mixes through these monitors we could hear everything from the players breathing to string noise and every other detail you could imagine as well as a full bass response to an open C extension on a double bass. I´m not saying that they are perfect, but for a single driver to be able to do all this is quite amazing.

I´m not sure how they are now because I made them for a local studio. The owner was blown away. Especially because he had listened to 3000euro+ active monitors from 5 or 6 companies and the Jordan were more coherent and imaged better than the majority of them. The Marchand PM221 modules are a great match for them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.