what 2' inverted soft dome, cheap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
high im looking around for some cheap 2-3 inch inverted soft dome mids for a open baffle system and im wondering what you guys could suggest that is budget concious ($100-250 for a pair)
and has at least a 80 wrms power handleing and a freqency response from approx 800- 6000 hz

Hi,

2" inverted soft dome ? I'm not aware of such a beast .....

I'm also no expert on Australian driver availability.

HiVi-DMB-A-FR.gif

THe Hi-Vi DMB-A seems good value, see tests at www.Zaphaudio.com .

:)/sreten.

i was confused

sorry guys this is like the first time talking about speakers to other lovers of audio i ment that they are convex or dome out, concave is what i have for all other drivers (woofer subs and orginal mid)

thanks guys

I was looking at some of the older Morel MDM 55 dome mids but they are expensive for this project

Hi,

What you gain at the top with a small dome you lose at the bottom.

A big issue with dome midranges is excursion in its lower range.
You cannot just look at the frequency response, the limit is usually
the dome size and its linear excursion.

discussed for a 2" in here : http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html
But note the c/o is first order electrical, 2nd order L/R acoustic.

http://www.parts-express.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=299

There is a offer on a Morel dome and an alternative Hi-Vi.

:)/sreten.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Most 2inch domes suffer from needing a crossover in the part of the audio spectrum in which our ears are most sensitive.

Jaycar 2"dome were avaliable some may be left in stores otherwise email me for a price on 3 unmounted, I decided on a different configuration.
Regards
Ted

Hi guys, in the process i discovered a cheap revelty avalable 5 inch inverted paper cone drivers from jaycar (australian) that i had the chance to listern to at work, i kind of stumbled apon them. From first impressions of the open construction they sound much more open and less contained than the closed back drivers i currenlty have.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=609

I give em a go as they are easy to get and are cheap.

Thanks every one for suggesting, maybe i might use the morals as part of a new pair in the future as these speakers are like my first project to be used semi permantly.

Moondog55 said:
I remember AndyG saying these Are rebadged Hi-Vi drivers, if so probably worth the experiment, the 8inch are pretty good at bass, no personal experience with that particular driver

that's cool, i will try them and get back, my boss had to order more in because the ones listened to were sold the following day.....damn

they will however be loud compare to the tweeter and those to compared to the woofers, i will have to design some attenuation circuits in the new 3 way crossover that were needed any way, hit to birds with one stone.

thanks for the reply

Rob,

I got some of these from eBay. The guy has sold at least 2 other batches (of 4) since and he may still have some more.

OK, they're not inverted, and I'm not sure of their bass range if you run them O/B. But I think they might be something like what you're looking for.

Martin Colloms mentions these specific ones (and has a photo) in his High Performance Loudspeakers book.

i had a look but no more, im just going with the ones from my shop and see how they go, should be good thanks anyway Rob, its the though that counts, i might use some higher end stuff in my next project as it is hard to get my hands on stuff and the time, im still at school doing god damn HSC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.