Oris Swing discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
anubisgrau said:

yes, certainly, though bert from bd design knows very well what to do with his speakers both in big (toed out) or in small (toed in) rooms.

i agree that the directivity of the horns is certainly not very welcome when you are sitting on axis, however i'm confident that the solution for what you've experienced was very easy - just to find a correct position in the room. yes, they don't have a big sweet spot. but if you are in it, the swings are still one of the most complete speakers on the market.

Dear Pals...

Being a SwingMKII owner and having almost 100m2 to place them in, results in a listening distance of 5 meters in my case. 1 meter to the back wall and 4-5 meters to the side walls.
Toing them slightly in/out, as they should be, approx 5-10 degrees, makes the sweet spot more than big enough for two listeners having joyful experiences with music.
The imaging is overwhelmignly good for a horn and no sound are spittet directly into your face. A wonderful tone and integration. They reflect lifelike dynamics and transients, micro and and macro dynamics, but not overdoing it, resuting in a being there experience. Relaxing lifelike sound without horn honk and hollownes.
Being in the exact sweet spot results in speaker cabinet and driver disapearance. Yhe be come acoustically invisible. Just close your eyes and listen if you can hear where the speakers are. You cannot.

It is impossible to get the whole benefit of the Swings in a small hotel room. Simply impossible as they where not designed to be placed in such a room.
Amazingly you can get a way with placing them in rather small rooms < 30m2, but then it takes a little patience to get them placed for optimum sound.

They are born with mandatory off axis listening as 100% liniarity, and flatness is acheived by toing them in or out a bit.
That they can swing + - 45 degrees offers you multiple placement posibilities and you are always able to adjust the optimum listening height to your ears.

The horns acoustical centers summarize perfectly at a listening distance of 2 meters. Rather good dispertion I would say.

I would never place my speakers as Bert were forced to in Denver, but what could he do about that? Playing mono for people
:xeye:

Gerner

PS! It is unfortunately not on hi-fi shows you always get's the best presentation and many speakers cannot perform te best on such occasions.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
panomaniac said:

It is. And of course they price is much too high. But if you get a chance to see one, you should. It's the best example of a media server I've seen. The user interface is very, very nice.

No reason not to learn from the best. :D

The hardware would be fairly easy to duplicate... what you are buying is a UI far in advance of anything else available for those with large libraries.

dave

panomaniac said:

It is. And of course they price is much too high. But if you get a chance to see one, you should. It's the best example of a media server I've seen. The user interface is very, very nice.

No reason not to learn from the best. :D

Fellows, this is not related to Bert Doppenberg, who's name is Bert...

I get PM's which mix up with the two names.
Brett and and Bert. So no need to privat PM me about Brett.

I see Brett clear enough without private PM's.

Just to get it clear.

Pardon.

Gerner

:cool:

planet10 said:

The hardware would be fairly easy to duplicate... what you are buying is a UI far in advance of anything else available for those with large libraries.

dave
It's a lot for a UI, but might be reason enough for some. I'll live some minor difficulties and a fatter wallet.
gerner said:

Fellows, this is not related to Bert Doppenberg, who's name is Bert...

I get PM's which mix up with the two names.
Brett and and Bert. So no need to privat PM me about Brett.

I see Brett clear enough without private PM's.

Just to get it clear.

Pardon.

Gerner

:cool:
I get called Bert all the time, but I'm not BD.

I also hope no one sent you that video. It'd be like so embarrassing to have a Paris moment.

Brett said:
It's a lot for a UI, but might be reason enough for some. I'll live some minor difficulties and a fatter wallet.
I get called Bert all the time, but I'm not BD.

I also hope no one sent you that video. It'd be like so embarrassing to have a Paris moment.

Hi Brett

Hmm... Of course someone can mistake a name with another...but still.

In my PM box I have mysterious messages.

Kindest
Gerner

Brett said:
So do I, often from beautiful women overseas who want to be my friend or wife, and from these nice people in Nigeria who've asked me to help them with a spot of financial trouble they're having.

Hehehe Brett... you are fortunate as my mysterious PM's were not of that kind. But I know the kind of spam...give me your bank account and you wiil be happy ever after. Ha...

Gerner :D

i read somewhere a remark on a "dark brown" colour of the sound in the bd-design room at RMAF...

this certainly ain't a contribution of the oris swing speakers

they are as transparent and as neutral in this matter as they can be

and they will just show what's upstream

it's very easy to get blooming tonal colours out of them, one just has to play with the upstream components - an amp in particular. i've heard them with at least 20 different amps: SETs, digital, JFETs, PP and they will always very precisely express a nature of the amp.

bert (bd-design) and his buddies believe in what they present as the whole system is the best way to get a fully transparent and neutral reproduction but there are other ways to skin a cat, depending on a personal taste.

anubisgrau said:
i read somewhere a remark on a "dark brown" colour of the sound in the bd-design room at RMAF...

this certainly ain't a contribution of the oris swing speakers

they are as transparent and as neutral in this matter as they can be

and they will just show what's upstream

it's very easy to get blooming tonal colours out of them, one just has to play with the upstream components - an amp in particular. i've heard them with at least 20 different amps: SETs, digital, JFETs, PP and they will always very precisely express a nature of the amp.

bert (bd-design) and his buddies believe in what they present as the whole system is the best way to get a fully transparent and neutral reproduction but there are other ways to skin a cat, depending on a personal taste.

Hey Neighbour

Brownish? Not here, neither your place. But there can be so many reasons why a guy hear and define the tone as brownish coloured.

Was it the small small room?
Was it that the guy were standing/sitting too much off axis = roll off in the highs?
Was the Swings anyhow too close to backwall and corners, resulting in too much bloom in the bass region?
Is it an *ear* sensitivity variable we wittness? Unliniar ears?
Was the recording recorded with browniness inside?

These are just a few points where we as listeners may define the tone or signature of a given system.

My Swings are what I will call transparent and reflects the upstrem gear differenses extremely well with no tonal particular signature deriving from the speaker itself.

I always try to boil it down to:

Sounds as gentle as an electrostatic speaker, tonally balanced, can reproduce a needle falling onto a pillow, playing gentle with high resolution and can explode like a nitrogene bomb without sweatting and leave you knocked out on the floor.

Cheers
Gerner:)

Fumbeling with uploding images and Colours

Hmmm....I'm very clever as I cannot find out to show you pictures here. Until the day I learn that, I will have to use a lousy bad trick ro insert a link where at least shomething is shown.

http://forum.bd-design.nl/index.php?id=15737

I have much better photoes of my gear.

The reason I want to show how I put up my Swings, is the discussions about toing in/out and hearing brownish colours.

If you look at the picture with my speakers present, you will find my camera plased where my ears are when listening.

The Swings shows excact liniarity from Fc up 22 KHz when toed like that and my ears are 1 meter above the floor.
I prefere to swing them towards each other as my bass section likes to be a bit closer to the corners because the backwall is 10 meters wide. But time alignment are kept intact 100%. Ah, well of course you can overdo it and no alignment at all.
I found them filling in the middle best like that. So I have density enough in the center of my soundstage.

Placing them vertically up-right and pulling them a bit together just means I have to sit a bit higher. There is no difference in SQ how much they are tilted either way. It's question of adjusting them to you listening height.

Now, true is they have a relatively small sweet spot due to partly beaming phenomenons i the heighs, but also the top horns depths. But the more fare away you listen to them the sweet spot grows. And as mentioned before I sit 5 meters from them. It's the Golden Ratio in my situation.

Moving away from the sweet spot leads you to hear much less treble information and room reflections are more audible.
Now we can talk about colour signatures as a fact. That be brownish or yellow.

I have treated my room a bit with absorbtion and deffusion and with curtains, table cloths and carpets beside furnitures an so on, it goes pretty OK. And with a little brain adjustment over time..well then pretty well it goes.

The Swings has no worse, no less artifacts or flaws than any other speaker principle. It's just different.

Gerner:)

Like this?

2008082912135448b7cbe2432b21.jpg

:clown: Gerner

Status
Not open for further replies.