Do drivers with cloth surround sound boxy? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2008, 06:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Do drivers with cloth surround sound boxy?

Hi,

Given that cloth surrounds are quite leaky and allow quite a lot of rear wave to pass through, dont cloth surround drivers sound more boxy? Are there any guidelines for selecting a crossover frequency (low to mid, since the drivers are used as a mid) for cloth surround drivers? I am talking about drivers about 2.5 - 3" inches in size

Thanks,
Goldy
Old 4th November 2008, 10:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
In my experience, no. Treated fabric surrounds are quite airtight, actually. I would worry more about the thin cone of a good paper fullrange/midrange. Anyway, damping in the box is very good to deal with backwave of midrange speaker.

As for X-over frequency, there is no rule of thumb for drivers with cloth surround - same rules as for any driver apply. For a 3" midrange driver I would select a cutoff somewhere between 300 and 600 Hz.

Hide this!Advertise here!