Do I really require this box volume?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rhythmdiy said:
I recently bought a pair of Vifa PL26W
when I tried using WinISD beta I got 3.75cuft of volume for the box ( ported ) But I rarely see any speakers using such a volume for the woofer in a 3 way system.. can anybody tell me why should I go with such higher volume?
Here's a trick I use often:
1. Try taking the "optimal" enclosure volume that winISD/Unibox/whatever tells you, then halving it, or only 2/3 or 3/4 of it... plug that smaller cabinet into your program.
2. Tweak the box tuning until you get a satisfying roll off.
3. Now, compare the F3 of your "fractional" enclosure to the "optimal" enclosure.
If the optimal enclosure has an F3 that's only a few Hz lower than your fractional one, then it's not worth it for those few extra Hz. Plus, with a smaller enclosure comes less group delay. Less space, tighter bass; it's win-win.

Example:
For the Sunflowers, I used the Dayton RS225, which says the optimal box is something like 75 Liters w/ an F3 @ 27 Hz. I built a 40 Liter cabinet (and adjusted the tuning to get a roll off I liked), and the F3 was 32 Hz. It just didn't seem sensible to me to build a box twice the size for 5 more Hz. Plus, as I said before, the transient response is tightened up over the larger cabinet (well, in simulation, anyway)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.