Software/Free tools - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2008, 09:00 AM   #1
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Software/Free tools

Is this worth a look?
I'm not connected, came across it by accident. If its no good, please say so. Its free.

Mike
Old 3rd November 2008, 09:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Software/Free tools

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by mikee55
Is this worth a look?
I'm not connected, came across it by accident. If its no good, please say so. Its free.

Mike

Is there a URL or program title that you want to tell us about?

There's several good free loudspeaker cab design tools. Is this of what you speak?

Cheers!
Old 3rd November 2008, 09:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Oh wot

Sorry everyone.
Damn what happened??????

http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/gram.html

Sorry again
Old 4th November 2008, 02:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've not worked with that one, but it looks like Spectran, another full featured freeware program. I found it useful for deciphering weak digital radio signals than speakers.

What's your purpose for it? Those aren't the best for speaker designing unless you can change the window (Spectran has the waterfall display, IIRC. It's been a few years since I've worked on Windows).

Cheers!
Old 4th November 2008, 08:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Geek

After that embarrassment, I'm glad someone took a look. I just found it by accident, and just posted it, in case it was any good. I haven't used it myself.

Quote:
It's been a few years since I've worked on Windows
Are you a Linux user? I'd love to switch. In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Mike
Old 4th November 2008, 09:13 AM   #6
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

A little off topic - anybody, who would like to try out Lunux - try Ubuntu - easy for beginners.

Back to topic - does anyone know about any other speaker related software for linux? Are there ports of some favorite applications?
Old 4th November 2008, 09:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default I tried already

I use two NICs in Windoz, 1 connects to my Cable DSL modem, then another NIC shares my Internet connection over LAN for my Kids. I bought 2 DSL routers and neither worked, nor with Windoz???

Using 2 NICs, works now with ease in WindozXP, I can get it up and running within minutes. Im' dying to go Linux. PCLinuxOS is a nice looking Distro, Ubuntu ain't too bad either, but without the knowledge, I'm stuck with Windoz.

Sorry to be off topic, I reckon if more diyAudio'ers used Linux, it would be a valuable OS for Audio design, no?

Mike
Old 4th November 2008, 10:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Quote:
Are you a Linux user? I'd love to switch. In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?
Yup! I switched Dec 24, 2001 and never looked back

Quote:
...try Ubuntu...
Agreed.

Quote:
Back to topic - does anyone know about any other speaker related software for linux? Are there ports of some favorite applications?
I had no problem getting any Windows based audio design gadget to run on Ubuntu and Wine

I use Jaaa and Japa on Linux (native) and my Linux laptop for portability. Well, it's a sig/noise gen and FFT for speaker sweeping (not intended for that, but it works). They need to be compiled from source.

What I would suggest for anyone doing the "Win-to-Lin" crossover is load Ubuntu on a second computer and tinker with it, or just run it from the CD (you can do that!).

You can dual-boot, but setting that up flawless without killing one or the other OS is tricky for a beginner (before I get shouts - yes, 4 out of 5 times it'll go perfect) and it's best done with a new hard drive anyway with manually configured fdisk partitioning.

Heh, did I get enough audio content in this post?

Cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!