Software/Free tools

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've not worked with that one, but it looks like Spectran, another full featured freeware program. I found it useful for deciphering weak digital radio signals than speakers.

What's your purpose for it? Those aren't the best for speaker designing unless you can change the window (Spectran has the waterfall display, IIRC. It's been a few years since I've worked on Windows).

Cheers!

I tried already

I use two NICs in Windoz, 1 connects to my Cable DSL modem, then another NIC shares my Internet connection over LAN for my Kids. I bought 2 DSL routers and neither worked, nor with Windoz???

Using 2 NICs, works now with ease in WindozXP, I can get it up and running within minutes. Im' dying to go Linux. PCLinuxOS is a nice looking Distro, Ubuntu ain't too bad either, but without the knowledge, I'm stuck with Windoz.

Sorry to be off topic, I reckon if more diyAudio'ers used Linux, it would be a valuable OS for Audio design, no?

Mike:)

Hi,

Are you a Linux user? I'd love to switch. In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates? :)

Yup! I switched Dec 24, 2001 and never looked back ;)

...try Ubuntu...

Agreed.

Back to topic - does anyone know about any other speaker related software for linux? Are there ports of some favorite applications?

I had no problem getting any Windows based audio design gadget to run on Ubuntu and Wine :)

I use Jaaa and Japa on Linux (native) and my Linux laptop for portability. Well, it's a sig/noise gen and FFT for speaker sweeping (not intended for that, but it works). They need to be compiled from source.

What I would suggest for anyone doing the "Win-to-Lin" crossover is load Ubuntu on a second computer and tinker with it, or just run it from the CD (you can do that!).

You can dual-boot, but setting that up flawless without killing one or the other OS is tricky for a beginner (before I get shouts - yes, 4 out of 5 times it'll go perfect) and it's best done with a new hard drive anyway with manually configured fdisk partitioning.

Heh, did I get enough audio content in this post? :clown:

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.