TDL RTL2 help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. *newbie alert*

I got ahold of some TDL RTL2's for £30 and i'm quite pleased with them so far. They replaced a pair of B&O beovox S-80s with new crossovers and refoamed woofers, which i quite liked aswell.

So far i've added egg-box shape foam to the cabinets and changed the tweeters to a scanspeak D2010 model. I also replaced the stock wire with the speaker cable i'm using too. They already sound much better, but i'm wondering should i change anything in the crossovers as i've changed the tweeter?

thanks!

Hi fraserh

Nice going for £30! I paid full price for min back in the 90's. After 2 weeks I despised the tweeters and replaced them with a titanium coated polymer dome design from Audax. Although this migh have required crossover tweaks, I was not set up to make the required measurements. However any inaccuracy was swamped by the overall improvement.

I also lined the cabinets inside with carpet, though the egg box idea is a good one.

Since the design gives good access to the insides, and 2 sets of terminals for bi amping, I always wondered how these would sound in an active setup.

Have fun,

Ed

cheers for reply Ed, yeah i think they're a bargain too. So it isn't really a neccessary to change the crossover to suit the new tweeter? It definitel;y sounds better and i'm happy with that- but knowing it could sound better with a minor tweak to the circuit is bugging me a bit...

Its tricky to tell whether crossover needs changes, but to find out you'd need to make frequency response measurements. That was something I could not do when I changed the tweeters. Subjectively, there does not seem to be a problem.

I forgot to mention that I did replace the electrolytic capacitors in the crossover with some polypropylene film types. Hard to say if this made a significant difference though.

Ed

I'm wondering if it's worth changing the main drivers in these too. Anyone have suggestions for a suitable type? I measured across the face and it's 6" not including the metal plate for screwing it on. Is this normally included in the driver measurement??

cheers, fraser

TDL RTL2 Capacitors gone

I have noticed that the treble is extremely dull sounding almost non exsistent without whacking up the treble up full. I don't want to do this but currently have to otherwise I just hate listening to them. The treble units are working just sound awful. I did buy these speakers second hand so I suppose it figures.

I presume the capacitors on the crossover have gone? I have tried two different amps and still the same problem. But weird its the same on both speakers.

Question is what values do I buy and what do I buy. All help is very much appreciated. Or am I jumping the gone and should just replacement the tweeters. Wimslow audio have advised me to get a Seas replacement for tweeters.

Help Please :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.