Ribbon tweeter/mid suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning on building an "upgrade" to a speaker design I built for a couple of friends. The configuration is a "3.5" way sealed design built around 2 Vifa P21WO2008 woofers (one acts as a "subwoofer" via an additional 2nd order lowpass filter). Given this "subwoofer" circuit, output near the lowpass filter corner is roughly that of a single woofer.

In the past, I've used a 3.5" Vifa mid and 3/4" Vifa dome tweeter, all split at 300/3000 Hz using a 3rd order passive network. I like the overall bass extension of these speakers, but would like a bit more detail in the midrange and high end. I'm considering using ribbon tweeters like the BG Neo3, Dayton ribbon tweeters or HiVi units.

Can anyone recommend a good ribbon tweeter for < $100 that could be used in a 3 way design. For that matter, what good midrange units are out there that would mate well with ribbon tweeters? I'd really like to increase detail and "openness." (Sorry, don't want to sound like Stereophile here).

Thanks...

Craig

sdclc126 said:
I would recommend reading here:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/

And:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Givler1.html

Not sure about the woofer availability in that design however.

Doesn't sound like this reviewer likes the sound of the various ribbon tweeters tested. I've never tried ribbon drivers, so I'm curious and have heard some good things about detail, etc. Any thoughts on this? Anyone here like the sound of ribbon tweeters over the standard dome tweeters?

speakerdoctor said:
I had some very good luck integrating a Fountek NeoCD3.0 into a vintage AR3a 3-way speaker. Stay away from the Arum Cantus ribbons sold by PE. I returned a pair because the tested so badly.

mikela said:
+1 on the Fountek NeoCD3.0.

Interesting that you both chose the FounTek unit. The reviewer at the link above seemed to like the BG Neo unit a little bit over the FounTek. But I'm all ears. It that's a superior driver, that would be perfect.

Thanks for the help!

craigwalsh said:

Interesting that you both chose the FounTek unit. The reviewer at the link above seemed to like the BG Neo unit a little bit over the FounTek. But I'm all ears. It that's a superior driver, that would be perfect.

Thanks for the help!

The BG unit is not a true ribbon. true ribbons tend to measure poorly at lower frequencies, but they sound great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.