Ribbon tweeter/mid suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2008, 04:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ribbon tweeter/mid suggestions

I'm planning on building an "upgrade" to a speaker design I built for a couple of friends. The configuration is a "3.5" way sealed design built around 2 Vifa P21WO2008 woofers (one acts as a "subwoofer" via an additional 2nd order lowpass filter). Given this "subwoofer" circuit, output near the lowpass filter corner is roughly that of a single woofer.

In the past, I've used a 3.5" Vifa mid and 3/4" Vifa dome tweeter, all split at 300/3000 Hz using a 3rd order passive network. I like the overall bass extension of these speakers, but would like a bit more detail in the midrange and high end. I'm considering using ribbon tweeters like the BG Neo3, Dayton ribbon tweeters or HiVi units.

Can anyone recommend a good ribbon tweeter for < $100 that could be used in a 3 way design. For that matter, what good midrange units are out there that would mate well with ribbon tweeters? I'd really like to increase detail and "openness." (Sorry, don't want to sound like Stereophile here).

Thanks...

Craig
Old 31st October 2008, 04:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would recommend reading here:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/

And:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Givler1.html

Not sure about the woofer availability in that design however.
Old 31st October 2008, 05:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I had some very good luck integrating a Fountek NeoCD3.0 into a vintage AR3a 3-way speaker. Stay away from the Arum Cantus ribbons sold by PE. I returned a pair because the tested so badly.
Old 31st October 2008, 07:57 PM   #4
mikela is offline mikela  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 on the Fountek NeoCD3.0.
Old 1st November 2008, 03:35 AM   #5
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
make your own ribbon tweeter. would be cheaper that way
Old 1st November 2008, 05:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sdclc126
I would recommend reading here:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/

And:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Givler1.html

Not sure about the woofer availability in that design however.
Doesn't sound like this reviewer likes the sound of the various ribbon tweeters tested. I've never tried ribbon drivers, so I'm curious and have heard some good things about detail, etc. Any thoughts on this? Anyone here like the sound of ribbon tweeters over the standard dome tweeters?
Old 1st November 2008, 05:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by speakerdoctor
I had some very good luck integrating a Fountek NeoCD3.0 into a vintage AR3a 3-way speaker. Stay away from the Arum Cantus ribbons sold by PE. I returned a pair because the tested so badly.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikela
+1 on the Fountek NeoCD3.0.
Interesting that you both chose the FounTek unit. The reviewer at the link above seemed to like the BG Neo unit a little bit over the FounTek. But I'm all ears. It that's a superior driver, that would be perfect.

Thanks for the help!
Old 1st November 2008, 05:57 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cotdt
make your own ribbon tweeter. would be cheaper that way

I'm all for DIY, but this seems a bit ambitious, esp. based on reading some rather elaborate (and very time consuming) forays into ribbon building described in the Ribbon/Planar/ESL section.

But, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 1st November 2008, 06:24 AM   #9
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally posted by craigwalsh

Interesting that you both chose the FounTek unit. The reviewer at the link above seemed to like the BG Neo unit a little bit over the FounTek. But I'm all ears. It that's a superior driver, that would be perfect.

Thanks for the help!
The BG unit is not a true ribbon. true ribbons tend to measure poorly at lower frequencies, but they sound great.
Old 1st November 2008, 07:33 AM   #10
mikela is offline mikela  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by craigwalsh

The newer Fountek's have metal face plates...unlike the one's Zaph tested.

Hide this!Advertise here!