straight bass horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

i am considering to start building a pair of bass horns. would be happy to cover from 35-40Hz to around 120-170Hz.

available space is around 3,5mt in lenght and 1,5-1,75mq for mouth area (each horn)

if mouth area is not large enough i can switch to just one mono bass horn, reaching almost 3mq... how important is the stereo perception under the 150Hz ?

i would prefer to use high efficiency vintage alnicos, if possible, anyway which are your suggested drivers ? 12" or 15" ? how many of them ?

thanks to all !!

forgot to mention that i need to be low on mouth, as i need space for the midbass and high horns above...i could use 70, maybe 75cm in mouth high (width can go as large as 4,5-5mt.)

so, in order to avoid a horn with parallel top and bottom sides, i need to be more low on throat, around 50-60 cm, and have a minimum degree of vertical expansion...

i was thinking to use a pair of 12'', one above other ...

another way could be to mount a 15'' on each side, like in the skramstad horn...

which work better ?

tnx

Helmuth, at now i would prefer remain into 12'' - 15'' range, two drivers, if possible...

attached is my first attempt to calculate the horn, i used Melhuish hypex calculator:

throat area: 600 cm2
flare frequency: 35 Hz
size factor: 2 (horn will be on the floor)
M: 0.8

width: 500 cm
height: 77 cm
lenght: 342 cm

i would prefer vintage drivers, like Altec 414, EV12M, Jensen A12.... or 15'' Altec 515, Jbl 2220, Gauss, Coral..... something better ?

tnx

Attachments

• basshorn.gif
    basshorn.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 337
Despite it not being vintage... try Hornresp to simulate your horn speakers. You will be amazed what one can do wrong with horns if some paramters are not right. Either simulate the horn or build several ones and measure each iteration, until you find the right parameter configuration.

i will prefer to use two 12'' or two 15'' drivers, in place to a single 18'' simply because i want continue to use the single horn as a stereo device... yes, i still hear in mono, but it's just for simplicity to not mixing L+R channels into a single speaker.... stupid idea ?

anyway i think i need to learn to use hornresp :confused:

tnx

:Pumpkin:

Totally agree, start learn hornresp:)

I did some simulations with dual 12", 15" and 18" drivers for a mono bass horn since that probably is the best choice for you.
Then I could see why Helmuth went for the 18":)
The dual 18" drivers got lower in frequency than the other drivers had better phase response and more SPL. The frequency response of the dual 18" was pretty flat even in my two minute pre design and had no increase in SPL above 100Hz which could be a critical parameter for you considering use of processing.

The driver I would recommend is the PHL Audio 7321Nd, the cone is a triple sandwich construction which will not break up like the paper cones do. Compared to paper cones the PHL cones have extremely low harmonic distortion even at large cone movements, this means in real life that your simulation will look similar to the measuring you do when the horn is finished:) If you chose to use two of these drivers your horn will take 2600W continuous down to 30Hz without mechanical damage and play pretty loud (see attached pic) even in half space condition.
You will not find this driver on the PHL site yet, but it is already for sale (have them myself), so ask your dealer.

When a horn is capable of such high SPL it will be a good idea to side mount the drivers so they fire against each other. Side walls should also be coupled together inside the horn with heavy bracing so vibrations in the construction will be at a minimum. For most listeners a mono horn will work properly below 150Hz without loss of listening quality, for experienced listeners 90Hz 24dB low pass filter is the highest crossover I would recommend.

Attachments

• 3,5m-horn-with-dual-phl-7321.jpg
    3,5m-horn-with-dual-phl-7321.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 182
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.